Who is Miss Adela Quested? The investigatory report

[Why are we talking about Miss Adela Quested? Because he/she/it started commenting on my blog a couple of days back and has indicated his/her/it's desire for me, Kris Bass, in multifarious, nefarious ways. Here goes.]

Let's start from the name. Vinokur gave me the first hint that he remembered it as a character from the book 'A Passage to India'. Miss Adele Quested is the British Woman in the book who guided on a visit to the Marabar caves by the bearded Dr. Aziz, an idealistic, youngish Indian man who has befriended some English people. In there, gets confused and disoriented and apparently runs out accusing Dr. Aziz of assaulting her in the cave. Here's a still from the movie of the same title.

 
I don't know if this is a metaphor or analogy. I can see the smimilarities between me and Dr. Aziz. I'm bearded and I too am a Doctor. I'm youngish (28) and idealistic (maybe) and I have befriend English folk (not exactly, Vinokur is a darned American. But still he speaks English.) Since no one is sure about the sex of the character here, I'm going to refer to it as 'it'. Does 'it' adopt the aforementioned nick to drive in the point about lusting towards a bearded doctor? Perhaps. Let's carry on.

The first intended metaphor is drawn between Kris Bass and Jason Patric in 1987 horror/comedy The Lost Boys (IMDB). Jason acts the role of Michael, the elder of the two brothers who becomes a vampire after drinking blood mistaking it for wine. I'm not sure if I actually look as cute as him or that I am a vampire.

 
Then comes 'I haven't seen this much cuteness and naivete as the War of 1912.' This is by far the toughest of all the references. Here is the link to the Time magazine article. I guess we will need it itself to explain this analogy.

Throwing out Pet Shop Boys CDs comes up next. Well, I can sort of relate to that as I am so cute and sexy that Pet Shop boys are of no match to me. That's a wonderful compliment as even I love Pet Shop Boys.

It goes on to claim that it's the Darkman (Wiki) (from the 1990 film titled 'Darkman' - IMDB). The character is a scientist who after being attacked, turns into half-crazed, masked vigilante, known as Darkman who decides to get revenge on the criminals. This is interesting as I'm sure he is talking about taking on FlyGye as is evident from the interaction between the two.

 
Then it goes on to compare ourselves to the characters from the movie 'Weekend at the Barnies' (IMDB). It is compared to Andrew McCarthy who plays the character of a young employee in an insurance company whose Boss Bernie Lomax (to which I'm compared to - Shocking!) is involved in fraud of stealing money. In the final parts of the movie Andrew McCarthy uses the dead Bernie Lomax's body so as thugs can't kill him. Now, this is scary. I feel that the Darkman is after me!

 
Immediately though, it corrects itself by saying that it is more comparable to Ducky, an exchange student, with Chinky looks, in the movie 'Sixteen Candles' (IMDB) who in a alternate ends, wins the cute girl protagonist Molly Ringwald in the movie. Here I'm confused whether it is referring to its looks or the characters. Does it mean that it will win me over from Vinokur at the end of it all, perhaps in an alternate world? The plot thickens. Here is a clip from the movie where you can see how dorky Ducky, acted by Geddie Watanabe is.

 
Just to give the bait, it addst the twist of Malluhood, Kerala, incest in the reference of Arundhati Roy's 'The God of Small Things'. Although this led to me admitting the fact that I haven't read the book, I was able to get a review of the book which will give you an idea as to what it means. And it did hit me at one of my weakest points: incest!

To add the bollywood twist to the story, it compares me to the apparently blind Rakhee in this video. A point to note here is that it has taken care to confuse us with immediately giving us the alter-idea of it being tall, dark and handsome like Amitabh Bacchan after the dorky impression of Ducky. It has also acknowledged that I can sing and the fact that it likes my singing.

Then comes this analogy where it compares itself to Rachel Ward in the movie 'Thorn Birds' (IMDB). In this movie, Rachel Ward's character lusts for the priest in the family. After early setbacks, they reunite with tragic consequence for both. Scary as well.

 
Shift to even gorier analogies - to Linda Blair in the movie 'Exorcist' (IMDB). It claims that it feels like the character Regan MacNeil who has unnatural powers. The famous lines 'It burns. It burns.' are quoted and it compares burning to the feeling that my beard does to it. This really sounded interesting. Well, until I saw a picture of the Linda from the movie. Here it is. :O

 
Time for another Bollywood twist. Here, it compares itself to Rekha in the movie 'Silsila' (IMDB) who has to separate from Amitabh Bacchan who has to marry another woman because of commitments. But finally, Rekha unites with Amitabh. It got really confusing here. First of all, I was Amitabh here. Elsewhere, it was Amitabh. Secondly, it compared Vinokur to Jaya Bhaduri (then, now Jaya Bacchan). Now Vinokur is bald, has a beard and has balls and stuff. How could this analogy work?

Then we get to see the inner-happening of it's mind when he confronts Fly by comparing alleging that Fly likes movies like 'Birdcage' (1996, gay comedy, 6.5/10 at IMDB) and 'Juno' (2007, comedy, 8/10 at IMDB). A scathing attack, one would presume. The reader is led to believe that this person could very well be a self-possessed witch or something like that.

This is when I intervened. I was overawed by all these references, almost all of which I had no clue about. I requested it to give me some time to understand all the analogies.

It responded by analogies ranging from apartheid politics (Winnie Mandela using a machete to cut a message in the dirt about it's infatuation) to pop culture (Lil Wayne's song 'Lollipop' (video) with direct usage of it's lyrics). We understand its frustration in its apparent resignation at wooing me by comparing its efforts to the likes of Cyndi Lauper and her works (Girls Just Want to Have Fun - video).

We also were able to see the glimpse of it's mind where it longed for love and care. It can't stand unrequited love. When I asked for permission for a detailed post about it, it's used metaphors and allegory, it responded rather despondently that it's efforts were not a publicity stunt but true love. Still, it gave its evil intent out by comparing myself to Rosemary Woodhouse from the horror novel 'Rosemary's Baby' (1967) by Ira Levin. We are led to believe that it curses my fate to be similar to Rosemary's whose husband signed a contract with the Devil to be able to impregnate her with Devil sperm in exchange of a successful career. But it urged me to go on and do what I wanted.

Despite all these analogies, we are confused. What does it look like? Is it a he or a she? Confusing. I put my data through the supercomputers at the 'Indian Society of Character Identification'. The results that came were astounding. It could be either this, this, or one of these.

But it's still cloudy, isn't it? It called for more detailed analysis of the clues that it left. And yes, I did find incriminating evidence of at least its sex. It is actually a male as evidenced by this line 'Listen you may have to move that score to the male side ;)'. To confirm it I searched methodically for all my frequented blogs for further evidence.

And finally, I found this comment on Pepe's blog. 'As you requested - blog address - from Quested as requested.' This was the blog that I was linked to from Vikster's blog yesterday. It was hilarious. And I had left a comment on it. I smelt victory. I went to the blog to check out the blogger's profile. But there wasn't one. The name was 'Joy Division'.

I went and checked for replies to my comments. Yes, there was one. From someone called 'ben' who sounded so much like Miss Quested - 'anything for you kris bass, I'm a sucker for laughs. Consider it an early Christmas -- check back tomorrow and there will be more funny.' It's a shame that Ben's profile is not public.

The closest that we can come to identifying this person is this. He's a male. He's called Ben. And maybe, just maybe, he looks like this. Even this is fine. I hope not this.

What do I feel about this 'dude' after all this research? I feel curious. I feel like knowing him more.

43 comments:

pepe M. said...

wow!you deserve an A++ for that extensive research....and i dont know why im already scared! (i feel like im transported to the urban legend movie) i do really find him/she/it very very fierce, nonetheless funny and witty...

Prash said...

I agree with pepe...you deserve A++ on the research part.

***
Curiosity is killing the cat
***

Kris Bass said...

Thank you guys. Let me tell you, it was real fun. And informative. I'm waiting with baited breath for more information about our mysterious prowler.

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

Pet shop boys?

PET SHOP BOYS?

I hope you didn't hold a guitar while saying that.

What's next? Duran duran????

*goes away fuming*




p.s. good research piece!! :P ..

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr.Aziz,

There are some serious secret admirer/ admiree confidentiality laws that are breaking here. You simply can't know who I am or tell people. Those are the rules. It's a sacred relationship we got into and your attempt at knowing has destroyed this bond. Miss Quested is lost forever. You know it's then end when a character starts to talk in the third person as I am doing now. Miss. Quested's objective was to suddenly appear in your life and blend in without you or your friends knowing her identity. Now there's no way that's going to happen without your friends knowing her and saying shit like "ohh there come Miss.Quested, everyone run," or "Oh can't she get a new pair of heels, the one's she's got one are way too small for her feet."
You see what I mean? You've seen enough of these movies to know that you can't name or expose the thing's that's haunting you because then it has to go away, like daylight on a vampire or
saying the name of the spirit that's doing the haunting,--- your demon lover has been exorcized. your reduction of the mails are really amazing and scary, anyone who knows me would be able to connect the dots, i cant belive i left so many huge clues. Ducky is not the asian guy, he's played by John Cryer in 16 Candles --you have to see the movie. Everyone thinks that Molly should have got with him instead of Andrew McCarthy in the movie. But the only character that matters is Miss. Adela Quested from A Passage To India and it looks like that's where she's or "it" is going to have to be stuck forever, with her mad unrequited desire. I feel very sad for her. All she wanted was for you to pop up one day dressed like a catholic priest and say "bless you my child," and now that is just a fantasy. I have to sign out, like Ripley, the last surviving member of the Nostromo.

--Miss Quested

P.S: You have to lose some of you research, trim everything after Winnie Mandela, even though you are way off target, on the page it's too close.

Kris Bass said...

@ rambws: Confession number 197493 - I used to like Pet Shop Boys. Especially like the song 'Jealousy'. And even worse I used to like boybands.

What should I do to wash away my sins? Will the fact that I adore Tool and Foo Fighters and the likes good enough?

Kris Bass said...

@ Miss Adela Quested: Are you serious? Am I putting you in trouble? Are you serious with taking off some parts? I'm confused.

I apologize for any unintentional malice.

flygye12 said...

Of course 'A Passage to India', the moment I read the Marabar in the last comment... no wonder it sounded so familiar...ah I have missed so much of excitement today...ur a real Dick Kirby...I'm afraid Kriss, u have a jail term and a rape case waiting for you...i don't remember clearly but i think she has a child by Aziz...Scott leaves the end bit confusing if I remember correctly I remember thinking that he actually *did* rape her...and ur apologizing to this psycho? i would have used 'F*ck you' and such abhi tak to....this freakodelia doesn't look from India tho...i don't think anyone in India watches that Barnie movie or even Ducky ones...but on the other hand the freak has read 'God of Small Things'. i would've said only indians read this book but then again...the wierdo is well read....


my advice KB...keep ur official email address and other things safe, this could be one of those sicko internet freaks who 'hack' sites for fun...ur life's an open book on the blog, i think u could keep some details confidential

[btw, is this Vinokur and you trying to make this blog interesting? Is Adela actually Vinokur? (okay i love a conspiracy theory always)]

Kris Bass said...

@ Fly: I hope I don't get any such punishment. And isn't it quite evident in his 'clues' that he has Indian ties?

I'm not endangering my official e-mail address etc. here? Well, I've been thinking about keeping some of my stuff confidential. But what exactly are you talking about?

Vinokur is not involved in this LOL!

flygye12 said...

i don't know what to keep confidential..ur web footprint, ur bank ID...everything.... only i find this bloke psycho...and i would like u to be safe :)

The Line of Beauty said...

Gosh!! that was a long post. and well written/ researched ..

Haven't read " Passage to India" so don't know much about He/She/It, but it's always flattering to know you are 'stalked'

Kris Bass said...

@ Fly: Okay. I get the point.

@ TLOB: welcome back. It's a he more or less. I haven't read it as well. Vinokur has though. I envy him for all the reading that he does.

jeev81 said...

well done Mr sherlock holmes....

looks like u hav taken the pain to do this extensive research...

Rajeev

Kris Bass said...

Yup, I did. But it was a pleasure!

Anonymous said...

Even though Kriss Bass has destroyed me and I can no longer talk to him, I feel like I have to defend Adela Quested --and especially the Forster book to which Flieguyee10045 has predictably responded to like the complete moronathon he is and of course ---he is way of base --like all the Ace of Bace CD's he's got in his private collection for his "down time" with the wine and the conspiracy theories about why he is so lame.

It's not about the exact details of the book( is any book about the details, come one people, surely you've seen at least one Oprah Book Club show) --Forester's book is fucking amazing in its story and its language, no one gets off easy, the English or the Indians --it's not about what happened plot wise that you are supposed to think about --like the rape charges( she never meant to say it, the English around her made her do it and she was weak in character at that point, even she admits it)

The reason I took on Adela as a cover was because her story is about a love so strong she had to destroy the thing she loved because she could not speak of it or have it. How could she tell Dr.Aziz she wanted him, --wanted him so bad that she lost her mind. That's the real story.

She makes up for it by telling the truth on the stand and making Aziz famous. In fact, Aziz still loves her in the end and is disappointed and jealous when he finds out that his friend might have made off with Adela ( and some reward money).

In the movie, the scenes to watch are the moment she discovers her repressed sexual hunger at the discovery of the hidden Indian temple in the forest.
It's a haunting scene and speaks more about Adela, sex, and love and India then Flyperson 577667 could ever know.

--that's it

Please do E.M Forster a favor and read the book before you go around misrepresenting it.

-Miss Q f ( this time gone for real, hahah! once again I had to defend a great book and if this whole thing ends up with two people reading it then it was worth it )


P.S: it's your kind of lunatic fear mongering that gets drag queens into unneeded cat fights.

Anonymous said...

--another oops!

I'm referring to flyguy in the P.S and sorry for the typos!

Kris Bass said...

I call for a truce here. Please, we all need healthy respect for each other. I know I'm sounding like an old old Republican, but still.

@ Miss Adela Quested: I don't think we need to abort communication. Do we? And you can still be yourself as your stand is all the much clearer now that we are all aware of the book, characters and the motive.

Anonymous said...

no problem --but only because your post is so funny.
-Q

Kris Bass said...

That's a relief. And I'm glad that I haven't lost one of my funniest readers/commentators :)

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

Did someone say funny? I can smell these things.

Plus, flygye is the biggest conspiracy theorist there is. He has one rule, don't beleive anything written on a blog. :P ... Okay, I kid you fly ... :P ....

Dr Bass, you lucky, you have your man and a gay stalker. All i could go was a female stalker back when I was doing the ol' straight boy routine.
And why shouldn't you? You can cook, play the guitar and can write your own prescription for off-the-rack drugs. You're a catch, my brotha :P ....

Kris Bass said...

@ rambws: Did I just perceive a household infested with flu go greent? Perhaps.

I'm lucky. That's what I am. I am lucky to have you guys around snooping around and commenting. Stalking is an addendum.

Oh, by the way, since there is an immense shortage of partners in the gay-blogosphere - have you guys checked personal sites like 'g4m' and 'malejole'?

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

Dr Bass

Cause I have a code and cannot say anything without ending it with a "d" does not mean I don;t have a heart :P :P ....

plus I wasn't green ... just happy for ya ...


ok ... a little bit green? but can you blame me?

Kris Bass said...

@ rambws: Honestly, I didn't get that. I could have acted cool and said LOL. But I didn't. I had the balls to admit.

And I hate typos. I'm referring to mine here. What does the word 'greent' look like? Dorky, that's what it looks like.

You are allowed to be a tad green. And no one can blame you but you. So, all's fair.

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

what i meant was code = cold ....

You see, even I don't get me most of the time. So don't worry.

And dorky is good. Dorky rules the world.

Obama = Dorky

Bill gates = Dorky

:P :P ....

oh, and i never blame me. that's rule numma 1. always blame the others. :P :P ....

Anonymous said...

(man, I am very sorry, I'm glad no one called me on it but I meant Pretty in Pink not 16 Candles, those are the same movie to me, but if you're going to do your math --well there it is, though the "Long Duck Dong" scene is pretty funny-Q)

Kris Bass said...

@ rambws: I did get the cold part. Now that is. But not the 'd' part. But nevermind.

@ Q: Fuck, I'll edit the report tomorrow, with the additions and deletions. Do bother to check back with us. :)

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

What I was implying was that whatever I say ends with "d" because I have a bad cold ... :P :P ...

don't worry .... i'm a late bloomer too :P

Kris Bass said...

:P

Anonymous said...

Eventually, for all of Adela Quested's shenanigans, the purpose is defeated, isn't it?
What a book that one. And what a blog this one. You can count me in as a fan. A doctor one, if it gets you interested anyway.

Kris Bass said...

And what a comment this one! Where am I getting all these new visitors?

Welcome here doctor!

Anonymous said...

listen --once more I find the time-but this is quick.
I was Rosemary in my response "Don't change the program on my account," you were Guy Woodhouse, the husband. Rosemary unwittingly gives Guy permission to sacrifice their unborn son to the devil so that Guy could get into movies and get out of the off off broadway stuff that he was stuck in like "Everybody Loves An Albatross," I looked at your post again and you missed a huge point, in most of my references I am the victim, not you, this is about my sudden pathological obsession with you, like Linda Blair's moment in the Exorcist, holy water hurts, love hurts, get it--it's about me and the pain I have to endure Dr.No It All. It must be true what the nurses say about Doc's, they make the nurses do all the dirty work and clean up all the messes and cover up for their busy cold hearted don't care about anyone else attitude, it's all about what makes them happy 24/7. --miss Q

Kris Bass said...

@ Quested: Okay, okay. I agree. You win. I lose. I'm the bad doctor. You are the poor soul who is tortured. But still I did my research. You must give me the credit for doing what I did. Even if it was almost totally wrong.

Anonymous said...

You need to find a nurse and give her a hug, asap--you see her working her ass but you just walk on by like you some superstar. She would really appreciate it if you told her she is valued for more the her skills with a loaded syringe. -Q

Anonymous said...

--after much consideration, I'm calling off the wedding, it's final. You just don't have time for me anymore, it's always about you and your friends, what about me and the scrapbook convention we were supposed to be at together, do you know how lame it is to scrap alone--all the other wives had their husbands there. When you're not at the hospital working 24 hours a day and flirting with anything that moves, you want to be India's next Rock Star,--and all those hours on the internet, talking to people you don't even know when you see me trying to make this relationship work --I knew it was going to be rough being a doctor's wife but this too much, I'm going back to school, I'll finish my RMT courses and become the best massage therapist in the city and finally have a normal life.Goodbye --q

Kris Bass said...

@ Quested - I don't even understand that we were supposed to be at a scrapbook convention. And to correct you, I'm hardly ever at the hospital these days.

Anyway, it's your decision and I respect it. So long, Quested.

Anonymous said...

now that you can't stand me it makes me want you more, and I'm a sucker for dramatic endings so goodbye is never really goodbye, it's just a commercial break --Q

Kris Bass said...

@ Quested: This is never going to end, is it?

Anonymous said...

(of course it ends, this character is way to much work, but it has to end funny, Miss. Quested deserves a good ending, I'm trying to think one up, so far all I have is an accident involving an exploding pressure cooker or maybe death by a runaway rickshaw, it might be a good way to " put her down": )

Kris Bass said...

How about something like serial bomb blasts? It surely is high on theme of the current situation.

Anonymous said...

--listen no more crashing your blog, I have to get over the fear of my own blog ---call it blogofear or whatever. You know where to look for all the best nonsense.-not Q

Kris Bass said...

@ Quested: Fuck, your mood changes like Britney Spears's hairstyles.

Anonymous said...

of course I'm still going to be your #1 fan/stalker, I just didn't want to intrude so much on your own space. AHA and I got you to make a very american reference in your reply, very nice and funny --Q

Kris Bass said...

@ Q - I want my #1 fan/stalker! Puhleeeze! I'm a sucker for humor too, you see!

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...