'Disgrace'

On the day before I went for the tour, my friend R gave me this book to read; J. M. Coetzee's 'Disgrace', the winner of the 1999 Booker Prize. When I started reading it I thought it was very interesting. It had some additional relevance for me as the protagonist was an elderly professor who had a happening, but promiscous sex life. The story is based in South-Africa and had a Sugar Daddy ring to it.



I took the book with me on the tour and kept reading while I was travelling. And I couldn't keep it down. I finished it today morning. And I thought it was truly wonderful. I am very happy now.



First of all, it is something like 3 years since I read a book without much of a break. My late teenage and first few years in medschool were full of such sprees. Of late, I have not been able to. I don't know why. Maybe it is because I have a lot more of hobbies to attend to. Computers, music, movies etc weren't around then.



The point is that life as it is at present, does not give me the chance to read books like this although I so wish it did. Having said that, I've already started on another novel; '1984' by George Orwell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonder why you did not have anything more to say about your tour other than the book and the movie, was there no interesting human element to it.

JK

Kris Bass said...

For starters, there was nothing interesting on the 'human'/'personal' front. Besides I was with a set of friends to whom I haven't come out. Except for Chuck of course. Anyway, I was too engrossed in the book. It is a must read if you are interested in novels.

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...