The Vagina Monologues

When I bought the ticket for the famous play 'The Vagina Monologues' at Fame ADLABS a day before, I was thinking that I was sort of exaggerating my feelings towards it. This play which caught my attention about a couple of years or so back was something that I had wanted to see. My friends (straight ones) from the hospital saw it when it had first opened and thought of it as a fantastic play. That had made me jealous because I was the kind of person who would have seen such a play first and urged them to see it.

Today, as the skies leaked drearily for the fourth day in consecution, I found myself walking to a nearby multiplex for the third time in 5 days. For a broke person, this is luxury. I was wary about whom would come to see it. My fears came true when a bunch of bad smelling, straight office-going men (in their 30s) who had lame jokes and bad topics to talk about boarded the elevator with me. Suddenly, my '212 Sexy Men' perfume seemed inadequate and I was left feeling queasy. I was a bit relieved to see a lot of beautiful young women as well as other women at the screen entrance.

I had a seat at the front row and being poor finally seemed to make sense. Soon, five wonderful women, all very talented actors, came out in splendid attires of red and black, sat on high bar stools to lead us through an hour of wonderfully entertaining drama! I don't know their names and stuff. But everyone was charming. The eldest (looking) actress had this Vodafone helpline accent which, because of Vinokur, I have started to dislike. Whatever accents they chose to speak in seemed perfect for the narration. Otherwise, the tales of female happiness, pleasure, agony, excitement told through the 'mouths of vaginas' (Aargh, give me some Ipecac!; I'm just kidding) were simply a treat to the audience.

After the show, I waited in line behind a dozen of young women to write a comment on the book which was meant for the same. The one thing that came back to my mind to as I was collecting my thoughts to write on the book was this; The young woman sitting next to me (during the play), posh mini-skirt, high heels and all, was probably the only one amongst about 100 in the audience who hadn't raised her hand when one of the narrators asked us 'Who doesn't have a problem with saying the word 'vagina?' How ironic!

And here's what I wrote...
For a man who has had a lot of experiences with vaginas, but none in the sexual way, I was a bit skeptical about your play. It was simply a wonderful experience even for a gay man like me. After seeing your play, I feel that I understand the meaning of words 'liberation' and 'independence' better. Keep up the good work!

6 comments:

flygye12 said...

I have been thinking where I have met you for quite some time. I suddenly realized today that you are Dr Philip Carey, the protagonist of Of Human Bondage by W.Somerset Maugham

ps:ur next poll shud be should i start earning or not ;) because i know you can can

Kris Bass said...

Look, I wasn't aware of that until I Wiki-ed it. Now, I feel I need to read the book. And I have some 34 books left to read on top of a cardbox box draped with a cloth which doubles up as my living room coffee table.

About the poll - I hope I don't need to put it on!

flygye12 said...

good to bump into you on other blogs :) keep up the good work. that particular book is really slow.i finished it only because i had started it. so don't have ur expectations high. But the way money and u don't seem to see eye to eye, i recall him.... :)
btw u do have a steady job, don't you? because if u don't , you will do injustice to ur music too....

Kris Bass said...

Well, look I'm in transition between jobs. My permanent job henceforth will be music. And I've to pass the exams to start working as a surgeon again!

flygye12 said...

thoda paisa kamaa lo dost, it won't hurt :)then u won't need to make music worrying whether it will be successful or not.

aur kum se kum sundays ko to kisi sarkari clinic mein baith jaana :) is gyaan ka thoda to use karo bhai, waste mut jaane do. you have the power!!!

Kris Bass said...

I guess you are right in a way. But the fact is that I don't have any easy options to join. The places that I could go and join would need me being there for many hours in a day. With my band getting into the gig scene as soon as the monsoons subside, I don't have time for anything which will take some time away from the time to study/prepare for the exams.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...