Shame-even-lesser

Advisory: This post might result in abnormal, violent reactions from all kinds of bloggers who might want to drive their artsy daggers down my back.

Those of you, three of you the last time I counted, who read my blog regularly, might have been happy after reading my last blog entry. Finally a dull, boring medico student had the epiphany of his/her life. That he/she was a loser in missing out on all the good things in life thanks to the drudgery of slogging in medical school and where not. Not just that, I had just resolved to correct this faulty evolutionary path taken by my mind with my lover Vinokur, who had knowledge about all the good things in life.

I took it up yesterday night. Vinokur was tired after another pointless visit to one of the doctors in NYC. Yet, he was anxious to imbibe into me something that he loved and cherished. We started it with a brief lecture (over Skype video for those who just lost themselves in this trans-oceanic communication weirdness) explaining how cave art evolved into stuff like Impressionism and Cubism. I listened to the lecture with multiple, somewhat stupid queries, which definitely interrupted the flow I guess.

He explained to me how the evolution of the painting schools was affected by the development of Photography. As he put it so clearly 'Romanticism was an attempt to fool the eye and photography beat it by a fair margin. Thereby, it led to other artists trying to capture 'what they felt' on canvas.' It sounded scholarly and good. But I was still confused.

I asked him 'Why would an artist want to impose his/her feelings on any scene when the viewer would want to make his own judgement/feeling about that, lets say, with either a photograph or a romanticist painting?'

That I think denoted the point when the lecture became a pain for him. He tried with jest to show me examples of art, with the gracious help of Google image thumbnails, ranging from Rembrandt and Eugene Delacroix to Van Gogh and Picasso to Salvador Dali and Frida Khalo. But in vain.

I loved the work of Rembrandt and Delcaroix and it made sense to me. Even the surrealist stuff looked something like fantasy. But the impressionist and cubist stuff - simply went over my head. For me they seemed under-worked. And I asked him the question (prepare yourself for an hour of shuddering, puking and depression) 'I think that Picasso looks like an amateur art... something that even a kid could do with a set of crayons. Explain to me why it isn't?'

That sort of capped the unfortunate evening for my lover. He resigned in despair saying 'Look Kris, I'm afraid I'm not going to be 'with' you on your voyage to discover and understand the history of art. I can't stand an intelligent, observant person like you opining and ridiculing art which have been acknowledged by the world over after looking at Google thumbnails for 4 seconds! I have been studying them for centuries and I think you are judging them far too early.'

The analogy that he tried failed me. 'Imagine a virgin classical music enthusiast listens to a grunge song by Nirvana. Wouldn't that person think that what he or she is hearing noise?' My counter argument was that 'Look, I introduced to a band Seether a few months back and you were able to appreciate the music which was going on. That was despite you liking Jazz and Classical music more than anything else. In my case I love Romanticism. But still I can't even relate to stuff like Cubsim. I mean, I don't even see the rectilinear shapes on the Picasso's self-portrait!'

The discussion, from there, went to becoming even more depressing for both of us. I suddenly realized that my 'education' had ruined me. I wasn't exposed to stuff that I should have been exposed to when I should have been exposed to. I'm already fucking 28 years old and I have no hope of understanding such art. I don't know anything about literature, architecture and painting. For somebody buried neck down in music, I hardly knew anything about music other than what Seattle Grunge has offered to the music scene.

I felt bad. I felt really bad. It felt like my life just died on me. And I don't know how to start mending.

16 comments:

flygye12 said...

Don't mend what ain't broken !

personally i don't like Picasso either. Sometimes, people who paint get enchanted by technique....btw have u seen works of Indian Artists? My favourites: Jamini Roy (ah simplicity n colour), Nandlal Bose (what transparency) and top of the lot Amrita Shergill (why why why did she have to die so early?)

Anonymous said...

Oh hush!

Stop with the whining!

I think we need to be "learnin ya" some stuff bout stuff.

Sweetie, it really isnt rocket science. Keep an open mind and just look. Just look dont think about stuff when you are looking. Analysis is best left for when you are spending time cleaning out navel lint.

Seriously, all you need is a culturally edjumacated fag hag to hang out with. Come on over and be my project!

I will be "learning ya" more about art and architecture and other nessecities than you can throw a stick at!

A well wisher in NYC

Rish said...

LoL, Kris, I can't for the life of me figure out Picasso as well. My favourite painter to this day remains Turner. I love the way he captures light and I can see the surrealism in his 'real' landscapes. But of course, that is not to say that Picasso doesn't have his own place and by consequence his own meaning within the world of Art. He most certainly has - why does it then have to be a question of wanting to like what others do? We should quietly agree to disagree. That is what the brilliance of humanity is all about - giving each other the space to love what appeals to us personally.

Aside: I finally made it to your blog. *sheepish grin* And I couldn't resist commenting on the first entry that I read.

Kris Bass said...

@ flygye - Thanks for the kind words. I really haven't seen anything other than Raja Ravi Varmas works and the Mona Lisa atop the soft-cover of a pirated version of the Da Vinci code. But, I would love to be explained to.

@ WWfNYC - For one thing, I was worried about you. You weren't commenting and I was wondering if I should do an entry as a plea to get you back here. I don't exactly know why I should do that but I think you are one of the persons who actually helped me out when Vinokur was ill. Your words echo Vinokur's. And if I understand correctly, migration to NYC would allow me to have the edjucated (I don't think that word was intentional, or was it?) fag hag and my husband by my side when we visit the museums et al! So, when do you plan to send me a ticket?

@ Rish - Thank you buddy. I guess I haven't seen any of Turner's arts. But your philosophy, for me, at this present moment at least, is tantalizingly surrealistic. Do visit us more often!

Anonymous said...

I know positive energy is oozing out of me :-)
(dunno if u were sarcastic or u actually meant it…)

"I don't know anything about literature, architecture and painting"
Just 1 thing- is thre any1 who identifies with/understands –‘music’ ‘guitar’ ‘songwriting’ the way u do???

Cheers!

The Line of Beauty said...

I am clueless about art history myself..I just connect with certain images and colors. end of story..
Though, would love to do an art appreciation course..I think flygye will have info if they have such classes in delhi??

Kris Bass said...

@ Swats: It was a little bit of both (Sarcasm and praise) actually. The comparison didn't work wonders when both Vinokur my dear sister tried it. Vinokur went with the guitars angle and my sister went with the surgeon angle. Anyway, thanks for trying! :) Cheers!

@ The Line of Beauty: I would love to do that. But I'm here in Mumbai. I wonder if Vikster/Swats/Aham(Vikram/Harish) know about any? Oh by the way, they have to bee *free* cuz I can't afford to pay for them!

Anonymous said...

what's the big deal??

some like it, some don't.

Some know of it, some don;t.

U're fine the way u r , with whatever education u've had.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah darlin.. we could be total culture vultures and your sweetie could probably teach us both a thing or two. How does he know so much about it? Avuncular, professorial and the perfect art history educator! All that and more!

We could discuss music and theatre and movies and why my broken arm healed crooked and you can help me shop for fabulousness in clothes and we could make snide remarks about everything over long drunken lunches. See the perfect faghag and gay man combination... hehehehe.

Jaani, you absolutely have to take that FLME or whatever exam and get over here!

A well wisher in NYC

Kris Bass said...

@ WWfNYC: For a moment I thought you were a threat to me and my relationship with Vinokur ;). Seriously, he's been reading all for a few centuries or so and he's interested in arts and stuff.

And secondly, why do I see Karen Walker when I read your comments about hanging out in Manhattan?

Do you think that I'll be your Jack McFarland?

Anonymous said...

I think most women in NYC have been various versions of Karen Walker even before the series aired. In my line of work.. architecture... I seem to work only with the Jack McFarlands of the world... and yes they are fabulous!

Yes yes you can be my Jack only without the annoying nasal intonation. I am between gay best friends and you sound like fun besides which you probably could cook up a really good dosa meal while flashing multicolored lungis in the latest fashions :)

Im kidding... you sound nice... and that is all I look for in friends!

A well wisher in NYC

Kris Bass said...

@ WWfNYC: Seriously, I would love to hang out with you. But VISA and monetary restrictions apply to third-worldy, brown Indian.

Anonymous said...

Then your album is going to be seriously succesful. And dont you be forgetting your upcoming Nov exam. All things come to those who work hard and wait. As my pals say.. Jai Mata Di Lets Rock... AKA JMLR!

Do you have an email listed on your blog?

A well wisher in NYC

Kris Bass said...

@ aWWfNYC: I certainly hope it does. I have just added my social networking links on the side bar. Or if you wanna simply e-mail me it's kris (dot) bass (at) gmail (dot) com.

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

Personally, I don't know anything about art, fashion, classical music .. anything.

But I do know who Ryan Carnes is.

err... Does that count? .. No ...

*goes into self loathing*

flygye12 said...

TLOB:check at the National Gallery of Modern Art. They regularly have art appreciation courses

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...