The GB trek to Sudhagad

Despite my band mates objecting to me going for a trek, citing a 'potentially risky endeavour which could result in injury which might hamper the recording sessions', I went for it. In fact, the first reaction that I had got about a few weeks back when I suggested this idea of the trek was so agressive 'C'mon, you aren't going for a GB TREK on the day before we hit the studio' that I was scared to tell them that I had actually signed up for it. Most of last week, I spent minutes contemplating the reaction of my band mates to my decision and thereby banning me from attending it to the financial loss of 650 Rs. (for registration) if I actually managed to skip the trek.

So, I got up very early (didn't sleep well at all). I climbed on the bus with a few of my GB acquaintances. During the entire trip to the hill station about 200 km off of Mumbai, I felt like I was with wrong company. It must have been tiredness and sleeplessness. It also must have been the sense of doing something that you suspect your band mates might use to back up their claims for my non-commitance to the band. Anyway, I settled on a window seat with a pile of Sunday newspapers and started reading them. In a few minutes I fell asleep and didn't wake up until we reached the destination. That, despite the ruckus of 'antaaksharis' and other frivolous fun activities going on with the very 'gay' GB members. That also had reminded me of the painfully boring trips that I had to undertake with my family and relatives during my childhood, adolescence and my young adult life. Almost similar levels of indifferent, thoughtless behaviour from the company I felt.

Things changed to good to great to incredible once the actual trek started. It was a hard climb, even for me, with the altitude depriving us of oxygen. The acquaintances had suddenly changed from intimidating to welcoming. The antecedent insomnia was the culprit cause for this particular delusion. The wonderful camera that Vinokur had gifted me strapped on my neck gave me the excuse to be alone and to spend time shooting nature. Although I wanted to take pictures of the landscapes, the solitude was also a way of escaping unwelcome conversations and potential 'hit-on's. Only a few people knew that I was 'settled' with this Gora Dad. To the others with their aquiline eyes, I must have been a handsome sitting duckling - maybe on the thinner side.

The climb up the slippery stony path bordering gorgeous gorges was really draining - both physically and emotionally. But I managed to take close to 300 photographs, all of which will be available for you at the end of this post. I fiddled around a lot with the camera and my 'framing' options, as I had a plentitude to choose from. Once on top of the hill I even managed to take a nap on a dry stone. Laying there looking at the dark cloudy sky blending almost imperceptibly into wonderful mountains and cliffs and drifting away to sleep, it felt like I was somewhere in New Zealand, in the past, a silly helper on the set of the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.

After having a half-cooked (in all senses of the word) lunch, we climbed down. Contradictory to expectations widely expressed amongst the group, we had an easy climb down. To add to it, the view had gotten better as we were facing the valley while coming down. This time, I could not manage to isolate myself from the group. That led to the uncomfortable situation; vide supra.

The ride back was hilarious. What could you expect when a gang of extremely excitable gays play 'Truth or Dare?' The truths were all about kinky, raunchy bed-time secrets to seductions. The dares were all about exchanging sweets between oral cavities and kissing and licking someone elses something. I was playing this game for the first time and I chose 'truths' always and ended up revealing my professional pre-seductions.

During the ride, I got a call from my guitar player. As usual, I was scared to even answer because of my inherent feeling of impending unhappiness with regard to something that I did/was doing which has/will/shall affect the band deleteriously. It turned out to be just a casual 'What's up?' call.

Why am I thinking like this? Why do I feel less confident about things? Why do I feel that I'm diverging away from the ideologies of my band and its members?

And the links to the photos

PS: Vinokur wants me to put up a poll in here asking you readers to rate me on a handsomeness scale of 1 to 50 as compared to the others in the trek; 1 being the best and 50 being the worst. It looks narcissistic and stuff, but he's my lover. I have to do this for him. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. to me you overshadowed everyone hands down.

Lovely.

JK Canada

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...