The Namesake

The morning was as usual as a pre-emergency day could be. Rounds, stupid office work for my seniors and stuff like that. But despite all that, I left the wards happy feeling that I was doing a job which was being appreciated by everyone in the ward.

I was not decided on what to do in the afternoon as I didn't have any concrete plans. I hadn't seen the newspaper for three days or so.

I came back to my room early afternoon to find my stupid idiotic room partners studying. That also meant that I couldn't do anything that I wished to do like falling asleep listening to some music or learn some song on the guitar. I was deeply disappointed not to find today's newspaper as well. I didn't want to even ask my roomie whether he had seen it.

Instead, I looked up NowRunning.com, and amazing website for movies in India. I found three movies worth watching. As usual, I chose a Double Bill. 'The Namesake' and 'The Hills Have Eyes (Part 1)' at the Metro Adlabs.

I rode downtown and reached well ahead of time. Last time I was in the theater to watch '300', I had the strongest desire in my entire Mumbai life to cruise. Similarly, today I felt like calling Victor, my sef-estranged boyfriend. First I thought I would call him up before the first movie. But then I decided not to as it might cause confusion regarding watching this movie which I was dying to watch.

Instead, I took up a copy of today's Times of India. With lots of cricket fodder to munch, I lazily went to the theatre to book my tickets for the double bill. I was surprised to find that The Namesake was running at the Ebony Lounge, the most expensive screen probably in the whole of Mumbai.

I decided to risk it. I paid 500 fucking rupees for the tickets and gingerly went up hoping it to be worthwhile. Inside the theatre I went through the phases once again whether to call Victor or not. I had been feeling bad that I had not returned his call about a couple of weeks back.

Times of India kept me to myself. I tried calling up my friends 'T.' my psychiatrist friend/shrink and Ray, but without luck.

At about 10 minutes to the show, I entered the Ebony Lounge. Whoa! What seats! Full recliners, with blankets and side trays/tables to keep your snacks! The screen was small but the sound was amazingly rich. And there were lights bright enough for me to recline and read the newspaper sipping coffee!

The bliss that I miss at the hostel (or home for that matter) was relived at half a grand! It was well worth it though.

Coming the the movie - I have to rate it 4 stars! Amazing acting. Amazing screenplay. And amazing direction. It's about a Bengali family settling the the US of A and all the problem of the mixture-culture that results. You can read up about the movie on the internet. It is based on the book by Lahiri.



Tabu was simply breathtaking. I loved the cinematography and New York scenes.

Once again, I could relate a lot to this movie. Because of my desires to live in New York, because of my not-so-close relationship with my parents and finally, because the movie stresses the importance of books in life - Books helps you travel the world without moving and inch.

It has also inspired me to try and read the novel 'The Overcoat' the Nicholas Gogol, the Russian Writer.

I'll write about the other movie in my next post.

2 comments:

flygye12 said...

For a broke you spend lavishly...keep up the good job. u remind me of someone lovely that i used to know

Kris Bass said...

Well, that was a mistake. And how on earth did you arrive on this post?

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...