Sources of inspiration

If you thought that I'm going to write a long philosophical post about the various sources that you can get inspired by, I'm sorry. I'm very frustrated to write such a piece. This, despite being inspired by a very curious source which would not be revealed until after you guys have tried guessing it.

To demystify - After getting motivated by the HRC gig and the disussion about 'cover' songs versus original songs, I had a sudden rush of blood to the head yesterday evening. I wanted to write a song for 'Shoonyas'. Something rather dark, which would fit into being a metal/rock song. I wrote a poem in about an hour. The title of the song is from one of our fellow blogger's blog. She was also part of my inspirations but she is not the subject of the poem.

I want you guys to go through the poem and comment about what you thought of it and what you think is my inspiration. If you want clues, you can check out my recent marvelous posts and I'm sure there are hints scattered everywhere. The three people who I have already cross-checked the poem with were practically clueless until I explained it to them.

Okay, okay! But why should I be frustrated? Because I have not been able to write a melody for it yet. I have many ideas, but none seem to fit in with the mood. I'm still trying and I'm hoping to make a breakthrough fairly soon. Until then, you guys can try your luck!
'Freezing Flames'

As I look into her eyes, I see
The blaze that was bequeathed
The power that emanates, I feel
It is hard to even breathe

I reach forward, it feels so near
Is she the same, the one I loved?
I believe I can belie my fear
But In a moment of fury, she rises

She rises tall over all else
The savior of all that exists
Inside me, I feel so decrepit
Yet I feel so much at ease as

The darkness rages on engulfing even the brightest of stars
The flames of deceit, freeze even the warmest of hearts (but)

The beauty which lies within
Oh it is so transcendent
The fire that rages on within
Enlightens even the most decadent

I dig deep inside, and I ponder
Could it have been any different, or
Is it me? I think, as I floundered (staggered)
I can hardly see through the smoke

Are you holding back, father?
I remember, the lead was too thin
I'm sure, couldn't have reached any farther
I can't, even I don't know why and when

She rises tall over all else
The savior of all that exists
Allow me, I feel so decrepit
I feel I can help you to peace as

The darkness rages on engulfing even the brightest of stars
The flames of deceit, freeze even the warmest of hearts (but)

The beauty which lies within
Oh it is so transcendent
The fire that rages on within
Enlightens even the most decadent

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I havent started to think about your inspiration for the poetry yet, but I will.

Meanwhile I hope that memories of past Onam feasts and the memories of being close with family and familiar friends made this a good Onam for you. Did you do anything at all to celebrate in your own way?

A Well Wisher in NYC

Kris Bass said...

@ AWWiNYC: It's been so long since you commented here! Don't even bother to mention about Onam my dear friend. Forget the feasts, I hardly can afford decent meals. I miss Onam actually. I miss the my 'crush' who was around last time around when it was Onam. We used to go to Mallu restaurants and had 'feasts'. He's not around anymore!

Anonymous said...

Ohh! No feast? That's a shame!

My non-Mallu friend who was gate-crashing a Mallu-restaurant on Onam for lunch got me some Kheer on her way out. It was delicious!




Shit, I'm not helping! Sowie :(

Anonymous said...

You're talking about your.. er... how shall I put it... um... you know.. the thing that's in our pants... uh... the word you get when you combine "pen" and "is"...? Right?
*she rises tall*
Right?? Am I right?? :D

Kris Bass said...

@ Unsungpsalm: You didn't help. But that's okay. I'm used to it. What about the poem? Not interesting enough I guess.

@ Mirror: Well - this is the first reference ever in my opinion that someone has imagined a penis referred to in the feminine gender. Nikhil, it's a very explicit blog and you can use penis, dick in here. No problemo.

But the actual reference ain't that!

(Anybody thought of Penis Monologues?)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!
Actually, I had missed the entire post. Just responded to the comment above mine, which I read in my feed. (Sorry!)

The poem is enthralling... and yet so cryptic! I don't know what to make of it, really! It's so far above...

Are you going to tell us more about it? The inspiration?

Anonymous said...

*Kris
Not interesting enough I guess.

Tchh! Drama Queen :P

Reema said...

I think u r talking about The Invisible Woman of Fantastic Four?? Nice poem.

Kris Bass said...

@ Unsungpsalm: Come on, try guessing - please. I love being the drama queen!

@ Reema: Finally, someone's guessing. It's not though. And I can't reveal any more.

Firebolt said...

It's an honour to me that my wee blog's name could be a part of your inspirations for the song.

The poem itself is pretty dark. Quite a turnaround from your usual style. I have only heard you sing your slow love songs and the sad ones. The lyrics are quite cryptic. I remember you once posted about a dream of yours which involved your Dad. The one where he took you to a great lake (I think) and then leave you there.. Could it be possibly related? As for the subject herself, I don't know. I guess I just haven't been online enough. Is she your mother or your sister? Are these people your inspirations?

I hope you write a melody for that lyric soon. And post it for us when you've done so. ^_^

Anonymous said...

Mother? Music?

Kris Bass said...

@ Firebolt: You really deserved it! And I love the phrase 'Freezing Flames'. Oxymoronic (the blogger) would know better ;)

Well, I have not written even written a single love song in my life until this. This is a love song. And it's not about my mother or sister. It's love like between Radha and Krishna or even better Peter Parker and Mary Jane.

@ Unsungpsalm: It could be. Yes.

Anonymous said...

I've recently started reading your blog and am drawn to keeping myself updated on your posts.

Re your poem, it appears to me that you are describing (and was inspired by) the character "Phoenix" and in some way you see certain of your own actions/thoughts as resembling what she embodies - a being of tremendous power and potential, yet confused... but well-meaning. I might've gone out on a a limb in my interpretion, but bear in mind that I don't know you personally and you are an X-Men fan. :)

Kris Bass said...

@ Anonymous: Correct!!!

You are spot on! And it is amazing that you got it right!

So the poem is from the POV of Cyclops (Scott Summer) when he goes through the phases of seeing Jean Grey become Phoenix. This happens on a mission to avert some catastrophe to the galaxy. Professor X - or Charles Xavier (The Father in the poem) - can't tell the X-men why they should do this and Cyclops thinks that he his holding something back.

Now, who are you?

Anonymous said...

:) Yay!

I'm just a Wolvie fan. (And, understandably, Cyclops isn't my favorite person)

Kris Bass said...

@ Anonymous: Wolvie fan is too generic my friend. That applies to about 29% of the world population. How do I know who you are from over a billion and half people?

Anonymous said...

Just someone still trying to figure out what's what with Life.

Eminently qualified dreamer, certified maverick. Peddle my skills as a lawyer to bring in the bacon.

Kris Bass said...

@ Anonymous: You could get a name though. That'll make things easier for me. Why don't I call you Wolvie?

Anonymous said...

Please call me Stray.

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...