"He" gets bitchier, I get suspended

Picture this. I'm at the emergency seeing about 7 patients. Three patients whom I've asked to wait are repeatedly bombarding me with awkward questions like 'When are you going to see us?'. My co-houseman hands over a patient's file to me and asks me to take a high-risk consent for a possible amputation of the arm. I am writing that when one of my registrars asks me to prescribe something to a patient which he can do by himself easily.


I decide that I have to do the consent as fast as I can. I complete the sentence that 'I/we, the patient/the patient's relative(s) have been clearly explained by the possibility of an amputation of the limb at a suitable level and are willing for the surgical procedure'. The other registrar, formerly referred in this blog as the 'he-bitch' grabs the file from me and checks the consent.


After he reads what I have written, he shouts at me 'What sort of consent have you taken? What have you learnt in the past 9 years. Can't you not even take a high-risk amputation consent?' and throws the file back. I'm pisssed. Really. I can't control it. I return the file back to him saying 'I don't know.' curtly (I supppose).


In the few seconds which pass later, I was told to get out of the emergency and to get lost somewhere. I do that. Soon, the 'he-bitch' instructs my co-houseman to call me and to do all the dirty work of plastering throughout the emergency. I'm banned from the OT as well as wards from the next day onwards.


What on earth is happening?

No comments:

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...