Kris Bass, M. D.

It's true, I've cleared my masters examination. And technically, it's not and M. D. (Doctor of Medicine) -it's M. S. (Master of Surgery). I have finally become a consultant in Orthopaedic surgery. I can't quite believe it and I don't think it has sunk into me yet. I spent the day at the hospital meeting colleagues and professors. It felt nice to have the degree under the belt as I could shamelessly claim that I am chasing music too in my life.

The really good thing which happened was the talk that I had with one of my favorite 'mentors' in the hospital. He was one of the examiners and he must have definitely played a decisive role in helping pass me (along with all the others from our college/hospital). He specially took his time to acknowledge me and advice me. I took cue from him and had a private conversation with him after our initial rendezvous. During that, he made me feel so comfortable about me choosing to chase my passion that I finally feel that it might be possible for me to parallely chase Orthopaedics as well.

Strange it may sound, but it is true. He said that I could be a consultant and pointed out that I would be welcome at any hospital/clinic that I chose to because I had a lot of good things about me - intelligence and knowledge and hardwork etc. He used these adjectives and I feel proud! Now, with this behind me, I feel this should be the moment that I should choose to come out to my parents. And I'm really moving fast. I have a bus ride booked to Thiruvananthapuram starting in 5 hours. I'll meet Ray on the way to just catch up with his life - he has gotten engaged recently and remember, he's my best friend after Vinokur!

I have three days since then and I need to work my stratgies to come out to my parents in the gentlest of ways. I have some written material (pamphlets, PFLAG book) and a few documentaries/movies that might help me and my parents out. Besides, my friendl Uncle N., to whom I'm out to, is going to help me. The only bothering thing is the presistence of my sister that I'm doing something wrong. She claims that I'm being selfish in my endeavors. I hope I can prove her wrong!

Wish me luck once again! I won't be extensively blogging until I'm back in Mumbai, which is by next Tuesday. But I will keep in touch with my phone. An advanced 'Thank you!' set for all of my well-wishers! :)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations !

Kris Bass said...

Greatbong, you just won a 3rd generation iPod Nano! ,-)

Thanks!

Reema said...

u cleared ur exams!! thats wonderful!!
Congrats!! I m happy for u!

Kris Bass said...

Thank you Reema!

Dolly Koshy said...

Kriss, from the day I started reading your blog, I always wished that you would clear your exams. The world accepts whtever a sucessful person (in the worldly sense) does or the way the person chooses to live. Congrats and all the best whn u come out to your parents.

Anonymous said...

Wow Krish.. way to go!! congrats my dear.. :-) we are all very happy for you..

And Bach seems like nice ice-cream to me.. hope u lap him up really well. :D and that this R becomes an LTR.

The results plus bach has taken your life to a good high in recent times i feel. Gr8. Wishing that it stays the same and rises higher from here..

Welcome to tvm!
Good luck, with the new mission. Write in detail.

God bless.

Dev.

Anonymous said...

Hurray Hurray!
I had faith in you :) Knew it would work out!

Congratulations!

And don't tell your parents yet. Let them enjoy the good news for a week at least, dude!

Kris Bass said...

Dolly: thanks for the words! They do ring in my ear!

Dev: hmm, ice cream! I never like desserts anyway. Mr. Bach always says 'No carts before the horse' and it makes perfect sense. But he's kinda cute. ,-)

Unsung: Chill dude! Think positive!

Prash said...

Felicitations mon ami !
Felicitations monsieur docteur !
lol

Crazy Sam said...

Congratulations and all the best. I will be waiting to read how everything turned out. All the best once again.

Another Kiran In NYC said...

COngratulations dahlink!

Good luck with everything else. I hope it goes the way that is best for you.

I cannot wait to hear how your trip went.

Anonymous said...

Excellent news. Happy for you. JH

Simon Fanshawe said...

Dear Kris
All the best with your parents. Hope it goes well
I am a writer and documentary from the UK. I am thinking about making a film on gay life in India (especially the relationship between the gay scene and the internet) I wonder if we could correspond via emial and I could ask you some questions.
Simon

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

Hey ... Finally when I say Dr Bass I can't sued for misrepresentation!!

Congratulations!!

And I hope it goes well with your parents. It's the right thing to do!! And it'll be a huge burden of your back!!

Kris Bass said...

@ Crazy Sam: Thanks!

@ AKiNYC: Thanks a lot! In more ways than one!

@ Simon: I'm on a trip now. I'll get back to you after this. Thanks!

@ Ramby: Thank you!

the free spirit said...

Great news. Congrats :)
But it seems to me you love the drama. One episode ends and another starts lol
Gud luck with your parents. I hope they can understand and accept.

Kris Bass said...

@ the free spirit: perhaps yes! Thanks!

Firebolt said...

Congrats, Dr. Bass! I come back from my two week rehab for hopeless Internet addicts to be welcomed with such a great news! I'm very happy for you. All the best with coming out to your parents. Hope it goes all well.
Cheers! ^_^

Anonymous said...

so.. what happened.. how did it go :-?
waiting..

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...