The movie pentathlon

Aah, a Sunday morning. I was up late enough to skip gym and early enough to go through the Sunday Times with a cup of coffee. As my eye lazily grazed over the movie pages, a stark realization struck me. There were 9 fucking Hollywood flicks worth watching running in the theatres in Mumbai. I felt ashamed of myself. I hadn’t watched a decent movie alone in about a month’s time.

And what did I do? I took a piece of paper and made a list of movies and the theatres in which they are being shown. And after that, I formed a brilliant arrow diagram which would enable to me to watch five movies on the stretch! That’s going to be one fucking record! I took a quick shower and walked out to a nearby multiplex to start out what was promising to be an incredible day!

The Incredible Hulk


This movie was the biggest of the blockbusters that I was watching today. It was a marvel flick and all. But as all super-duper animation flicks do to me, it was astonishingly disappointing. I don’t know what’s wrong with putting in some effort to create a natural, flowing feel to the bodies of these superhero characters. Every fucking movie in this genre including Spiderman etc disappoint me. The Jurassic park dinosaurs are much better. But when it comes to aping the human body movements, these animation experts are obscenely horrid. And to kill all the fun, the storyline and the characters in this movie weren’t all that good. Why can’t Marvel learn from X-men? I give it a mere 1.5 out of 5!

Get Smart

Anything with Steve Carrell comes out good these days. He’s funny, eccentric and weird. In this spy/chase comedy which has a lot of interesting stuff (read, male - male lip locks; two of them), the sheer sillyness of Steve Carrell propels the movie to a success story in my blog. The presence of pro wrestler Dwayne Johnson and The Great Khali sort of adds glamour to the proceedings. It is a letdown to those who admire works of Carrell such as Little Miss Sunshine. I give it a 3 out of 5.

Another reason as to why the movie was bad was because of the unexpected company of S. and Xander in the movie hall. Co-fucking-incidentally, they had taken the two next seats to mine and S. was sitting next to me. He has this irritating nature of a very bovine, low pitched, almost gasp like laughing fit whenever something remotely funny happens on the screen. Apart from that, he claps like a teenage cunt when something slightly funnier happens. Add to it the whole gutkha/pan rumination and spitting into whatever space that he can think of, let me assure you guys, movie watching is far from enjoyable.

Nanny Diaries

I took this movie upon primarily because being a nanny in NYC was one of the options that I could consider to move to the US. This actually was suggested by Vinokur’s sister, Cissy. I thought it was a cute suggestion. So, why not see what I might be walking into via this movie. The movie is funny and sardonically ironic. It has moments of my life imprinted in it; the protagonist decides to break away from a successful academic career to doing something (nannydom) for just taking a break! Her parent (s) don’t agree to this and therefore, she has to lie about what she’s doing. And she becomes a nanny! Remarkably similar to how my life’s shaping out to be. There are poignant moments in the movie when the daughter and the mother encounter each others feelings, aspirations and hopes. And it ends well with the mom understanding her daughter. Hope this happens to me as well! A good 3 out of 5!

In Bruges

This was the brilliant surprise that I had in store. It had been years since I watched a low profile dark comedy. This proved to be just that, but the best of the genre that I have watched. I’m going to put my neck across and say that it’s better than Pulp Fiction! Seriously hilarious! So much so that I would have committed suicide had S. been with me. Enthralling drama! And a speedy story line. You never get bored. Not even once. Corniness is suspiciously absent from the proceedings. The only part which could be thought about in revision is the crescendo/staccato which leads up to one murder attempt. But that’s just fucking 7 seconds of a one and half hour movie! This gets 5 out of 5! Bravo!

Sex and the City

After the last movie, I was so excited that I called Ray and Vinokur and told them about my experience. Both of them shared my excitement. Both asked me what I was watching next. Both told me that it was a promising movie and that I should enjoy it. Enjoy it, I did! This movie led to the depths of what make or break a relationship; love, sex, trust, jealousy, adultery, faith and truthfulness in a relationship. It really broke my views about marriage and the hype that associated with it. It especially is relevant in the phase of life, when I’m planning to get married to Vinokur, maybe just for the sake of getting married.
I give 3.5 out of 5.

At the end of it all, I was a little tired! But very very satisfied, having broken my own record by a cool 2 movies!

No comments:

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...