Artist Vs. Artist

 

One of the hardest things that I have had to do is to give an honest critique about a piece of art to someone who I like/love but with whom I do not have kind of relationship that befits such and exchange. As an artist myself, I’d like to hear from others how my art can be made better, sandwiched between thick slabs of comments about what is it that I got right in the first place. This seems be the most important lesson that they the staff at Berklee School of Music teach their students!

The recipients of such an exchange can be classified (in a gross oversimplification) into two.

There are those who give you the freedom to express yourself—not necessarily only harsh, but more open. Those people make it clear at the outset that they don’t think highly of themselves but do care a lot about the piece of art they created. The others are cagey and probably just want to hear from you that they are doing absolutely great. Sometimes, these people might actually benefit from not hearing something harsh, especially if they are already doing quite well.

For the latter, some of the struggle lies in the lack of vocabulary and tact in expressing and receiving opinions. I find it easier to have these conversations happen over emails and long messages than face-to-face conversations. This gives both the parties enough time to process the responses, avoiding the awkwardness of one’s facial musculature giving almost everything away. Even when you have go easy on people, one could always pass on the good to them. That should still help and technically help build the relationship that you need to switch to the healthy one where you don’t need to parse the praise from the critique.

As a recipient, I still will fall into the latter bucket. Does that mean that I need to work on my relationships more.? Maybe. Or maybe that the people who give me feedback need to use the right lexicon and tact.

As a critic, I am currently in a self-revelatory exchange with a close friend of mine. I call him Blummer and he’s someone that I have done a lot of travel with. He’s currently in the middle of writing a book about the most important characters that influenced him and made him what he is right now. He has shared a few chapters and had requested my thoughts.

I thought he fell in the latter bucket when I started these exchanges. However, I feel that we’re slowly moving into the former. His way of expressing the fact that he felt that I was holding back helped me overcoming my inhibitions to share with him what I felt.

The relationship that I have with him are one of the few that could qualify, based on the duration and quality our friendship, to justify the open-critique. I have only a very few where I can be open like that, and I regret to say that I don’t yet have such a healthy relationship with my band mates. Maybe we’ll get there some day.

No comments:

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...