The hunt becomes complex

It's really not funny when you think about the situation that I am in. I have spent the best part of my adult life working in hospitals while harboring a passion for something which could be labelled as nothing more than a hobby in our nation. Actually, music was never a hobby in my life and I have come to realize that it has possessed me more than anything else ever has.

When you start thinking about finding a job which will keep you involved with music with a touch of creativity so that your passion for writing and performing music can be sustatined along with it, it becomes far more complex. Especially because all you have been doing in your life has been attending to patients and their complaints in outpatient departments, wards and operation theatres.

Preparing a curriculum vitae, for example, becomes tough. I have been going through a few resumes of my friends to see what has been written in them and I have found that they seem to have had projects and assignments in their multiple jobs which they could elaborate upon; things like leadership, organizational capability, communication skills, team work and all that. Technically, I too have had experiences in this - while managing patients in the hospital. When it comes to sprucing up my resume, its considerably harder.

That exactly is what I along with my friends are doing for the last couple of days. When this rather innovative CV is completed, I'm hoping to apply for jobs which will utilise my skills at creative writing as well. Music and creative writing - the combination sounds good, doesn't it? But where? At a publication like Rolling Stone magazine? At a record label where I could prepare write ups for bands? At a life-style section in a newspaper writing about the up and coming gigs?

The right CV can take you places, I have heard. But am I a little too optimistic?

3 comments:

masalai said...

Consider the many medical doctors who have achieved prominence in quite different careers: Somerset Maugham (novelist); Anton Chekov (playwright); Jonathan Miller (comedian; theatre and opera director; intellectual-at-large); Graham Chapman (comedy writer and performer); Howard Dean (US Senator and presidential candidate); Brendan Nelson (former Australian opposition leader). It can be done. Of course the prudent course is to complete the medical qualifications (which you have now done, I guess) and work for at least a year or two in medicine so as to have that credibility behind you. And some money, which never hurts.

Kris Bass said...

Yeah, but what will I do with music then?

Anonymous said...

I have heard that writing a resume is an art. Have not figured that one out yet!
All the best with your hunt! Hope you have better luck than me ;)

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...