Saturday at Cochin

I don't know how I managed to get up. But I did. And I got to the station in time for my train to Cochin. Early in the morning with only hope of a wonderful vacation, kickstarted by this unplanned, but promising trip to see my best friends.



Not surprisingly, I fell asleep immediately as the train started. I didn't wake up until the train grinded into a halt at the station. After eating a breakfast from the Indian Coffee House (it reminded me of my undergrad days when we used to have regular meals from the Indian Cofffee House near our college), I rang up Dr. R.



He instructed me to catch a bus and then an autorickshaw and I was there in an hour. The Hospital where he was working these days is a sub-district level hospital with multple specialties. A nice place. Or so it seemed. I was distinctly disturbed by the fact that Dr. R. was not the calf self that I was so impressed with and attracted with. Later on, he gave me the reason as well.



As I was visiting during the OPD hours, he was busy with patients and attending to emergencies at the Casualty. He showed me the waiting room for the Medical Officers where I waited and eventually, slept off. After some time, before Dr. R. came, a couple of his colleagues came and I had to wake up. I intorduced myslelf and gradually a conversation set in. Mostly casual talk. But since I was the guest, it was centered on my post-graduation and the situation in Maharashtra/Mumbai.



Soon, Dr. R. made his way in. A couple more of his colleagues too joined in. Dr. R. was making plans for a special luncheon, at a hotel called 'Kayvees', supposedly famous for its Biriyani. When we were driving to it, I was surprised by the state of mental affairs with Dr. R. He was not the usual calm and cool stuff. He had doubts and self-doubts over everything. He hadn't lost weight but he looked thinner. Apparently, his workload was heavy and he was finding it difficult to cope with that. As it turned out, his Diabetes was uncontrolled thanks to the extra stress. The conversation generally was not as warm as I had expected it to be. Short sentences. Abrupt, prolonged pauses interspersed.



The meal which followed was sumptuous. Maybe I was missing the usual Kerala fish-curry meal too much. By the end of it, I had had a conversation with Ray and we had decided to meet at the Marine Drive. So, I say bye to Dr. R. who had made it very clear that he was expecting me for Dinner at his place.



I reached Marine Drive as Raghu made his way. We decided to not go for a movie was we had planned earlier. Instead, we hung out at the Marine Drive's Barista first. Her, I must say that the experience at the Barista there was apalling. As compared to the ones in Mumbai, the coffee was bland. The waiters didn't know what was on the menu. The music which was played over a cheap set of speakers lacked even the faintest hint of bass. And forgive heavens, they were playing 'Evanescence'. Plus, tThe youngsters were chatting too loudly. That too, in havvily Malllu tinted English.



On that note, I should mention that I'm surprised to find myself hating the accent here. As of now, I still love Malayalam. But only it its pure form or in the accents up North. The accent down south is so irritating.



After our coffe and the delicious Chocoloate Pastry (I forget to recall the name of it), we decided to stroll. We had to catch up. And we had to men-spot as well. We did both of that. Ray had a couple more of experiences of cruising in the bus. It had me jealous of him and his prowess. Then we spent sometime eyeing the men-candy on display.



The evening came fast and I got a call from Dr. R. asking me about when I was coming. Until then, I hadn't decided. But the voice at the other end seemed like it needed some reassurance. I felt that he wanted me to go there and emphasize the fact that I found him a great friend. Even though, I wanted to go to Ray's home as well, I decided that Dr. R.'s home-visit was far more important.



After some trouble with regards to buses and routes, I reached Dr. R.'s place at around 8 pm. His family was small and sweet. A warm welcome from his wife and his two daughters made me remember the time last year when he used to tell me about his beloved home. I knew that I was supposed to stay there overnight and start in the morning.



I was not sure of that myself. I called home to ask when I should come. Pops wanted me to come back by 8 in the morning. I took that as an excuse to get out and travel in the night. Why? Obvious reasons. I wanted to try out 'cruising'. What better time than late night on a long bus journey to seduce a man!



I get freshened up and have my meal. It is delicious. So different from Mumbai. So different from what I would get at home. After that, I'm offered, by Dr. R., to be dropped to the town where I could catch a bus/train back home.



In the conversation inside his car, I ask him why he has changed so much from the last time I met him. He says 'Now, it is different life. There is nothing but responsibilities. And I'm finding it hard to manage it.'.

I felt sad for him as I walked to the bus stand. Not that I could have done something to help him. But still, maybe I could have just stayed back and made him feel happier (I hope).



I couldn't even bother the ponder too much over that thought as the exciting prospect of the bus journey lay ahead. I was careful to choose the right bus and the right seat (next to a near-60 year old man). I initiated things with a carelessly placed hand over thigh. I couldn't advance much further as the guy was not very receptive. Maybe be insensitive to such provocations.



Eventually, sleep won me over for the third time in the day. I overslept again and I was woken up by the man who I tried to seduce at the bus station in my hometown. I got out feeling great about the fact that I finally debuted at something which I was going to require throughout my life.



Now, I didn't want to spoil my already wonderful vacation by going to that function which I was supposed to attend. I lingered in the bus stand for another half an hour so that I reached home by early morning. I made myself appear exhausted and slept off right in front of my parents who must have told me to reach the function as soon as I can.



But I executed my plan to perfection and slept off till late evening.

No comments:

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...