The first interview

Using a hastily prepared but decent looking resume, I went for my first ever job interview at a distinguished private hospital yesterday. It felt a little weird being in formals and putting on a show like an earnest fresher surgeon especially because my longish hair had been ruffled from it's preset position by the wet look look gel that I use due to the breeze during the transit from the apartment to the hospital.

I must clarify that I did not feel like I was faking the entire thing. A part of me still feels like a surgeon who can start working and perhaps make my way up. I would obviously feel much better if I had a tag of a full-time job working in a hospital. But the downpoint (in this position as well as most that are on offer in the private hospitals) is that I would have to work more than 100 hours a day with 24 hour shifts every alternate day. This would mean that I will have to forfeit my entire other life.

I'm disappointed to realize that I can't probably do 'work' in the field that I have graduated in while continuing my ambitious efforts in music. This has led me to the conclusion that such a heavy round the clock job at a hospital would have to a last resort. Right now, with a E-boi and Jay (from Noise Market) I'm trying to prepare a CV with which I will try to hunt for jobs in the music and creative fields. The next step will be something like a call-center job.

Today I am going to speak to a big music instrument vendor to see if I can get a job in one of their shops. Such a job has the advantage of giving me a lot of time with guitars even during work and probably meet a lot of industry persons. I am planning to start tutoring guitar soon probably at home too. It will be funny to try an explain everything to my parents as to why a surgeon should work in a shop and sell guitars. Ironic, it is.

8 comments:

Firebolt said...

So when can I come for guitar lessons? ^_^

Kris Bass said...

@ Any time, you wish to.

Anonymous said...

A vast difference between each career indeed. Best of luck in following your dreams...

Kris Bass said...

It is vast!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to join a guitar class. Have you started it?
Where in Mumbai do you stay?

Kris Bass said...

@ Sunny: I'm starting it soon. I mean, just gathering a few students. Give me an e-mail with your details.

Kris Bass said...

@ Sunny: I'm starting it soon. I mean, just gathering a few students. Give me an e-mail with your details.

Anonymous said...

Pick what pays the most, do it for a year (i.e. sacrifice one year of your life, make some cash to fall back on later, and then think again what it is you want to do.

The entire economy is doing badly. People won't be able to spend too much on Music and Ent.
The Health industry should be the only one that should be unruffled.

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...