Gay friendliness on the rise

This Sunday was a great day for gay rights activism in India. NDTV 24X7 aired three back to back gay-friendly programs in prime time. I did not catch any of these programs. In fact, I got to know about this on the GB mailing list where there were a lot of e-mails about this event. It's really heartening to see this. And it's relieving to note that it's not sporadic. Even Priyanka Chopra, one of the very few women in Bollywood that I like, claimed that she's more comfortable with dancing with gay people than straight ones!

More seriously though, the media attention that the movement is more tangible than ever. Here are instances that I found yesterday.
  • Today TOI had an editorial article One for Ramadoss which strongly supported Health Minister Ramadoss's statements to decriminalize homosexuality.
  • Today's Mid-Day also had an article 'One night at a gay gala' about how gay friendly the party scene is becoming citing the Salvation Star parties as events which the straight community were dying to participate in.
  • Mid-Day's internet portal had a poll about legalizing gay marriage. I was totally surprised to see that the voting results (at the time that I voted) were in favor for it!
  • Mutiny.in, a popular community blog went to print for the first time earlier this month. In the first edition itself, there were a couple of very good gay friendly articles written by my internet-acquaintance Sanjukta. Here is the link to the entire magazine. The two articles are titled 'Stand Up For Yourself' and 'Coming Out'.
Maybe we will win our rights this time around. Check them out and spread the message around. If anyone lives in Chennai, take a print out of these and send them over to my sisters. (I was kidding, of course!)

10 comments:

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

Nice links .... when did this happen??? Did I sleep a little extra and woke up in 2049 A.D.??

Anonymous said...

Aha! That's good to hear!
I don't expect any actual changes on ground, though. That's asking for far too much from the common people... far too much.

Kris Bass said...

@ Ramby: Yeah, even I am quite surprised.

@ Unsungpsalm: Change might well be on it's way!

pepe M. said...

hmmm,me being from chennai is really capable of doing that...whats her addy kris? :)

Kris Bass said...

Well, she lives somewhere in Shenoy Nagar. I used to know the address and the way to reach there. But then, it's over 3 years!

Just Hooking Up said...

Here is another interesting link. http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/videopod/default.aspx?id=40460

Anonymous said...

This is what's happening in California. Exciting times.
http://www.sepiamutiny.com/sepia/

Kris Bass said...

@ Just Hooking Up: I watched almost the entire program. It was incredi-cool! Thanks for the link!

@ Rakesh: The Desi-granma thing? I wanted to blog about it.

Anonymous said...

Well, you should blog about it. The more people talk about it, the more awareness it spreads. :)

Kris Bass said...

@ Rakesh: You must have meant abou the grandma? I think I will get around to doing it!

Cheers!

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...