Ideat Savant

It's time to look ahead. After a lot of depressing posts about how my life sucks in general, this is a welcome change for me too. This recent resurgence of song-writing and positive comments from you guys and Rob have made me rekindle the idea of forming a band featuring such material. I've always had a plan actually. After the relative success of Noise Market and Shoonyas, I feel more confident.

Another striking fact - after spending a lot of time recording my own material in past few days, I have also starting to realize how much easier it's to make music alone. Your can let your own ideas flourish and not be restricted to any other view point. Of course, this can be a bad thing as well. But in my case, at least until now, I think I'm making better stuff out than when I'm with my bands.

The name that I came up with is 'Ideat Savant'. If you are wondering what it means, I would like to clarify that it's not a spelling mistake. It's a spin off the word idiot savant, a condition of people in Asperger's Syndrome. Vinokur is borderline Asperger's and he uses this term quite frequently in the conversation. But that is already taken up by other bands.
idiot savant (noun)
An intellectually disabled person who exhibits extraordinary ability in a highly specialized area, such as mathematics or music.
I wanted something with the same concept. And I searched for words similar to 'idiot' and stumbled upon 'ideat'.
I`de´at (noun)
1.(Metaph.) The actual existence supposed to correspond with an idea; the correlate in real existence to the idea as a thought or existence.

Savant (noun)
1. A learned person; a scholar.
2. An idiot savant.
Obviosuly I want your opinion of what you think of this name.

I've just started my own MySpace and Last.fm pages and have uploaded the latest songs as well. I am planning to find some guys or gals who are interested in joining me in this band. I am hoping that this time I'll be succesful. Even if the competition that I'm sending an entry to turns out to be disappointing, I might check these songs out with a record label and pursue this further.

I hope this was some good news after all!

(A mix of my latest recording 'A World Full of Lies is at either of the pages. I'll probably mix it once more before putting it up here.)

10 comments:

venkatesh said...

All the best for your band!!

Anonymous said...

I’m so happy for you! Wishing u success and luck ;-)

Kris Bass said...

@ Venkatesh: Thank you!

@ Swats: Thank you hon!

the free spirit said...

i shud read ur blog everyday hehehe I just commented on ur older blogs hoping to help end the suicide, i hate the world phase and look at u...u r all bright and shiny again lol!! i am glad. hmmmmmr gay men always this close to women??? i mean the roller coaster ride of emotions...thats sooo like us

Anonymous said...

i say good to the band but no to the name, too much trouble to say --u have to go out of your way to say it right and with a slip of the tongue you sound like you're calling yourself retarded --with all these accents out there i say this is dangerous territory, most people are not going to go out of their way separate idiot savant and ideat savant -dh

Anonymous said...

i say good to the band but no to the name, too much trouble to say --u have to go out of your way to say it right and with a slip of the tongue you sound like you're calling yourself retarded --with all these accents out there i say this is dangerous territory, most people are not going to go out of their way separate idiot savant and ideat savant -dh

Kris Bass said...

@ The Free Spirit: Maybe we guys are. I'm actually not this insecure but poverty changes everything.

@ Duncan: But I don't want the name to sound just like other names. This has a definitive intellectual vibe to it. Besides 'idiot savant' is not a retarded preson. Most art virtuosos are one.

Anonymous said...

---but savant's are kind of like dustin Hoffman in Rainman --a little off kilter, they can only do one thing well, and no one respects the savant, they write them off ---most thing it's a fluke of nature/brain formation that they can do a thing well. what virtuoso's are savants? ----you're not using the word right, savant on it's own is different from idiot savant...google 20/20 idiot savant --they did a good story on it way back ( and nothing against retarded people, my sister is so stupid, she's practically retarded) of course it's your band and part of the fun i guess is naming it---if i had a band I'd call it the The Muffy Lotta's

Anonymous said...

-dh

Reema said...

All the best!

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...