How to serve a morning cup of coffee to your lover in a Long Distance Relationship

[This post was meant to be posted on the second day of the deluge. I couldn't do it from my mobile. Hence I'm posting it now.]

The lack of broadband internet (on the computer that is) does have its own queer advantages – queer not in the gay sense, but in the ‘weird’ sense – for queers like me and Vinokur. The conversations on a rather Jurassic telephone line can be a lot more intimate and focused. Besides, people can actually relocate themselves at will – from a couch to the bed, from a desk to a window, from the living room to the kitchen etc.

In a long distance relationship this is can be a blessing in disguise. For example, Vinokur could take a walk down the Hudson river and tell me how beautiful big Apple looked in autumn with a spray of colors of the leaves OR I could just walk up the dirty stairwell in my apartment building explaining how it was lined exotically with all kinds of patterns of paan spit and how bad the drainage nullah behind my apartment building smelled.

Yes, you need such stuff in a long-distance relationship or else it would be difficult to make it work. If you are living with your partner (like a few lucky souls out here - Chandni/Boy, Fly/Bebe, awwiNYC/hubby etc), you could wake up first thing the morning and make your partner a fine cup of coffee and take it to the bedside and wake him/her up by gently kissing on the lips. In my life this is how it works.

[Vodafone long distance calling card telephone call at 19.43 IST/10.13 EST]

‘Ph… hello!’

‘Hey there dude, hello! I’m sorry, did I wake you up?’

‘Ph… naw… I was just do-ozing. So I guess the internet connection is not yet up.’

‘No, there seems to a bigger problem than expected. We might not have it until Monday.’

‘Awww… I’m gonna miss you, you know that?’

‘That’s okay. We can stay in touch via the old fashioned phone. Did you have your morning coffee yet?’

‘Oh, that explains why I’m so grooogggy still.’

‘Why don’t you make one right now? You can take me to the kitchen hold me in your hand and make coffee. That should be fun.’

‘Well, I’ll do it after we hang up.’

‘Hey, this is a good opportunity for us to bond. Come on, do it for me please.’

‘Okay, okay – if you insist! But you know that I’m not capable of such complex tasks. Remember, I’m a Jew with ADD. So, don’t complain if I put you inside the microwave oven and burn you.’


(…)

‘You can use the speaker phone then. You can put me up on the counter and I’d keep on gushing out my feelings while you make your coffee.’

[The Jew trudges on to the kitchen.]

‘No mishaps until now.’

‘Cool!’

‘I’m going to put you down on the counter okay?’

‘Okay.’


[Door opening sound; the clatter of cups and spoons.]

‘Hey, what are you wearing now?’

(…)

‘Hey there, are you able to hear me?’

(…)

(…)

‘Hullo?’

‘Were you talking to me?’

‘Yes, of course? Didn’t you hear me scream?’

‘No honey, I didn’t.’

‘But you said the speaker-phone is turned on.’

‘Yes, it was. But I didn’t hear it.’

‘Come on, how can that be?’

‘Oops, the speaker-phone wasn’t on.’

‘There, I caught you red-handed lying.’

‘Not the first time, honey!’


[Beeps from the microwave oven.]

‘How do you make a coffee?’

‘Well, I take a cup of milk and heat it up in the microwave. Then, I add a teaspoon and a little more of Nescafe and a couple of teaspoons of sugar. I stir it vigously. Voila!’


[Vigorous stirring. Very irritating over a telephone line.]

‘There, now I feel better. I’m glad you insisted on me making the coffee. Thank you honey!’

‘Well, you Jews are insistence-demanding.’

‘Yes we are. That why I insist on your love.’


(…)

‘I love you, my brown skinned Indian!’

‘I love you too!’
(PS: I had read the the front page article on yesterday’s TOI about the deteriorating call quality in GSM networks. Well, this proves that it’s not true.)

25 comments:

Prash said...

Jews are not capable for complex tasks ? Ah, that's a news to me ! ;-) LOL

Jews are demanding...again, I learn another thing on Jews tonight ! ;-) LOL

Hope the internet connection gets back to you soon !

Kris Bass said...

@ Prash: This jew is probably one of the defective pieces ;). He has ADD and neuroses. And besides, he's a lot cute.

I have my internet connection now. That's why I could post such a long entry! ;)

Prash said...

ah ah ah ...cool ! You got the internet back !cool cool cool...

I didn't say that being a jew is a defective...did i ? hahahahaha...

Pooja said...

aw ! i totally get what you're saying, like totally. long distance creates the funniest quirks, don't you think ?
:)

Pooja said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I want to be a Jew, I am a Jew wannabe now. -dh

Kris Bass said...

@ Prash: Yeah, it's cool to be back! Look, I have hardly had any Jew-contact until Vinokur. Hence, I don't know if Jews are defective or not.

@ Pooja: Yeah, LDR are fun. Seriously, you should try it sometime.

@ DH: Now, why would Duncan want to be a jew? Do you want some brown skinned Indian to wake you up from sleep and urge you to make coffee?

Anonymous said...

I want to be a Jew because I'm already half there
( religiously ) and because Neil Diamond and Mandy Patinkin ( were ) sooo hot when I was a kid !!! --dh
( only a particular brown skinned indian with a beard!)

sulz said...

haha, cute conversation. it must cost a bomb to stay in touch with the phone... but nothing's too much for love, yeah? ;)

Kris Bass said...

@ DH: I don't get the meaning of the sentence in the parentheses.

@ Sulz: Well, we talk for about 1 an half hours on the calling card. 200 Rs./5 $.

Anonymous said...

"They would always root for a cover of a Bollywood (trash) hit or a Paki-rock song."

the above comments is from one of ur posts, i took th time out to bring this up as i shook my head in disbelief at ur comment..some people are not worth the time and it's better to let them be but it's jsut as important at times to put people in their place..

I see ur a musician,ur an artist, do actually have passion nd understanding for the proffesion/hobby(or whateve place it may hold in ur life)that u belong to??Because from this ridiculously hapless comment of urs it seem u lack knowledge, passion nd understanding of this field..for one u generalised these to sections and more importantly u fail to understand that art transcends culture/religion/genre/country/caste etc.. etc..??

I am looking forward to ur justification/reasoning for ur comment and to see whether it reflects passion for art or simply a lust for art?? :)

pepe M. said...

very very sweet!
well, its my bf's mom who usually wakes us up serving the brew...but we better be sure that we are all dressed up before she knocks on the door :) sigh

Anonymous said...

How nice!!!!!

Readig ur post made me remember all the time I had a long distance relationship with the Boy!

I hope its over for u soon and u guys can get together and actually make that coffee :)

Anonymous said...

nice!! hehe :D

hope you guys will be together soon :P

Kris Bass said...

@ rhea: I'll get back to you soon.

@ Pepe: Thank you! That scenario of yours can't be a possibility in my life any soon.

@ Chandni: Thank you, we hop too!

@ BK: Thank you once again!

Pooja said...

try it ? my boy lives in b'lore :(

Anonymous said...

cute :) This just reminds me of conversations I have had over the phone with some one. And one particular conv. stands out (though it was a voice chat with friends then going out now married and me...) The guy happens to be my bachpan ka dost at that time in the US doing his PhD and the gal my bf from college here. We ended up bugging the gal ;) I was in NY, She in Chennai. She said she was going for a midnight coffee..and we were like...what about us? We ended up criticising the virtual coffee she served us! Had fun :D at her expense :) So, cherish these kinda conversations...

Vee said...

A whole new outlook to long distance stuff.. I never believed in it and would never I guess, though U seem to be adjusted to the fact.

Kris Bass said...

@ Oxy: Yeah, it's different and fun!

Kris Bass said...

@ rhea: What do you find wrong with the comment? When you are an artist, you want represent your own creativity. Not someone elses.

Analogy: If you were a movie script writer, would you like to copy a popular Hollywood script as yours or would you write something on your own?

That's the same thing which goes through musicians when we are asked to play covers of Bollywood songs and Paki-Rock bands.

Havings said that, I love most of the Paki rock bands and I enjoy their music. Not the same case with Bollywood. Most of it is mediocre music.

Is this enough?

Anonymous said...

Yes it is :)

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

I think Jews and Indians are meant to be together!!!

Though when Indians bargain, they can out-Jew anyone .. :P ...

Kris Bass said...

@ rhea: I'm relieved.

@ Ramby: Who else do you know - as in the Jew - Indian couple? You will find us (me and Vinokur) in the annals of Jew-Indian love.

Anonymous said...

Jews are gora gujjus - only more stingy with their money. I'm not saying Vinokur is - just in general.

Kris Bass said...

@ Anonymous: Well this Jew ain't! ;) He's much handsomer than a Gujju too!

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...