Freezing Flames - the song

Creativity thrives on adversity. Take it from me. This is true. I had an extremely bad day with shades of depression due to same old reasons. I tried doing many different things to make me feel better. But none helped. Those who tried to help me didn't. In fact, I was actually pissed with Vinokur for some reason and decided to hang up at around 11 in the night. And I decided to record 'Freezing Flames'. All the frustration gave way into it!

It took about 3 hours to track and another 2 hours to mix and put effects and stuff. I can't beleive that this entire thing was recorded on a 140 Rs. desktop microphone for voice chatting! The result I think sounds quite incredible. Of course, don't mind my untrained vocals too much. And the mixing is amateurish as I did everything on some regular headphones (not studio quality ones). Try looking at the bigger picture; to see if I managed to give justification to the lyric. I had just guitars, and vocals to do this track. With keys/strings/percussion - I don't know how it will sound.

And please comment. I'm planning to record three more songs and send it to a contest to try and see if I get really lucky! Lyrics are given below.

















Freezing Flames (the lyrics from the earlier version had to be edited a little.)

I look into her eyes, I see
The blaze that was bequeathed
The power that emanates
It's hard to even breathe

I reach forward, it feels so near
Is she the same, the one I love?
I believe I can belie my fear
In a moment of fury, she rises

She rises tall over all else
The savior of all that exists
Inside me, I feel so decrepit
Yet I feel so much at ease as

The darkness rages on engulfing even the brightest of stars
The flames of deceit, freeze even the warmest of hearts

The beauty which lies within
Oh it is so transcendent
The fire that rages on within
The beauty which lies within
Enlightens even the most decadent
The fire that rages on within

Deep inside, I wonder
Could it have been any different, or
Is it me, as I floundered,
I'm blinded by the smoke

Are you holding back, father?
the lead was too thin
I'm sure, couldn't have reached
Don't know even why and when

She rises tall over all else
The savior of all that exists
Allow me, I feel so decrepit
I feel I can help you to peace as

The darkness rages on engulfing even the brightest of stars
The flames of deceit, freeze even the warmest of hearts

The beauty which lies within
Oh it is so transcendent
The fire that rages on within
The beauty which lies within
Enlightens even the most decadent
The fire that rages on within
For those who missed out on a chance to guess what the song is about - an anonymous entity who I would like to refer to as 'Wolvie' did guess it right. Here's what he had to say.
Wolvie: Re your poem, it appears to me that you are describing (and was inspired by) the character "Phoenix" and in some way you see certain of your own actions/thoughts as resembling what she embodies - a being of tremendous power and potential, yet confused... but well-meaning. I might've gone out on a a limb in my interpretion, but bear in mind that I don't know you personally and you are an X-Men fan. :)
It is totally true. The poem is based on the X-men. The poem is from the POV of Cyclops (Scott Summer) when he goes through the phases of seeing Jean Grey become Phoenix. This happens on a mission to avert some catastrophe to the galaxy. Professor X - or Charles Xavier (The Father in the poem) - can't tell the X-men why they should do this and Cyclops thinks that he his holding something back. You can read about Jean Grey and Phoenix here.

34 comments:

Prash said...

I like the song...the background voice gives a special effect ~!

You are a big fan of X-men /

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice! the dick song! Sounds great, dude!! :)

Kris Bass said...

@ Prash: Yeah, the weirdness is because of the backing vocals.

@ Mirrorcracked: It's not a dick song! LOL

Anonymous said...

Sounds good :) A liked it too :D

Anonymous said...

Great song, especially considering that it was strung together past midnight by a frustrated soul in his studio apartment with narry any professional equipment.

P.S. - Did I mention being a "he" or did you just assume that? ;)

Wolvie

Anonymous said...

Yep! Sure does!

Though I wish it were a bit more melodious... I have a very gay taste in music :P

Kris Bass said...

@ My headtrip: I was worried if you were going to slam the song! ;)

@ Wolvie: I was about to add to my post that I assumed that you were a xy person. I guess it is just a presumption associated with the masculinity of the Wolverine. Thanks!

@ Unsungpsalm: It's weird, and I wanted to stick to a spacey eerie sound. Thanks anyways!

Vee said...

It's u who started that tag on love thingy na? Wait till I get back to u for that sometime.

Anonymous said...

well after you saying I should not have said you sucked at singing publicly, decided to give you a break. Seriously though, it is good (few spots where the singing could be better ;) though am giving you a break here right?! :D) so, you asked for this comment :D

Kris Bass said...

@ Oxy: What does the tag have to do with this song? I am confused.

@ MyHeadTrip: Thank you for being understanding and caring. By the way, beware of epileptic fits for young children after they hear me sing! ;)

Vee said...

No, no not with this song.. I had to say it somewhere na so I put it in this post.

Did not hear the song then.. ok heard it now but it doesn't go beyond 3rd para.. can't say much about mixing as I did not find any flaw there (but u say it's amateurish) but I can say abt Vocals.. Whoo... It was good. now I as listener can say vocals were good... put the other three as well

Kris Bass said...

@ Oxy: I guess you meant that you recipro-tagged.

What do you mean it doesn't go beyond the 3rd para. Load it once more. It plays properly at my end.

Thanks for the comments! :P

Vaudevillian said...

this sounds brilliant! and the background vocals do the trick!
sounds surprisingly good for a desktop microphone.
and good luck for the contest, i'm sure this otta make it!

do put up the other three as you record 'em

Kris Bass said...

@ Vaudevillian: Thank you! I'll put them up surely!

And judging by the responses - no negative opinions so far here. One of my good friend didn't like the song at all. Assuming that those who usually comment but who have not commented yet don't dig this song and hence have not commented, I think it's about 50 - 50 the song!

What do you think?

Anonymous said...

The song is a drag in the middle. You start off in an excellent fashion but loose out in the middle.

4:30 is too long. Becomes extremely banal.

And yes, vocals are untrained.

And by the way, I genuinely think you are music is great but this one requires work.

Kris Bass said...

(I wish there were no anonymouses in this world - it would be so much easier reply to names)

@ Anonymous: Drag in the middle? You must mean the second part of the song. 4.30 I think is fair. But again, for such a song it might be.

Thank you for your comments! :)

Anonymous said...

out of tune yaar, sounds disorganized, annoying.
voice is there, guitar okay too, but none one bit of disciplne.

Kris Bass said...

@ Anonymous (another one): I see. Well, that's a new way to look at it. Thanks for your comments.

Anonymous said...

I liked it a lot esp. the guitar. Your voice is good. It goes well with the guitar style. I think you will only get better. I'm looking forward to more music.

Kris Bass said...

@ Handmaiden: Thank you! You can definitely look forward to new music.

Anonymous said...

SUPERB! It's very good. This is the first of your songs that I have listened to. Please continue to give us more. Again, it was SUPERB!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! If forgot to mention... It would be better, much much better if it were a little "tuned". I don't know the technical terms of music. But I love music enough to make out talent when I see it. :)

Firebolt said...

Seriously, man, when are you coming to Kota? I've got to see you perform.

Loved the song. It's superb. If the demo is so good, what would the professional version be like?

Kris Bass said...

@ IndiaPavan: Thank you! That was a positive response! ;) And I understand what you mean by 'tuning'. It's my lack of vocal training.

@ Firebolt: Lady, even if I come to Kota, I'm not going to perform these songs. These are my personal songs. Not the ones with Noise Market and Shoonyas. I hope I can record these someday!

Anonymous said...

Aren't u a presumptive one?! - I am straight. But bloody fucking jealous of you LGBTs!

A couple of my best mates from school/ college aren't on the straight and narrow and some of my mates are all over the place with their sexuality. And the amazing thing is they tend to lead more fulfilled Lives than most of their straight and narrow counterparts! :)

On a serious note, I do wish society were a lot more understanding on the issues of sexuality and gender. And open, honest communications such as your blog help to break down the walls.

Here's a round of applause from me - for being you.

Cheers,
Wolvie

Kris Bass said...

@ Wolvie: Technically, Wolverine, the character, never attains true happiness. He's always pissed. But you ain't one of those I suppose.

Very seriously though, I have too empathized with the 'straight and narrow road'. Sometimes, I feel I have a much more 'liberated' life than my straight friends. Hence, it's not always that gloomy.

I've seen a few for whom this blog is a sort of enligtening experience with LGBT issues and stuff. I guess I'm worth my blog at least. ;)

Thank you! (Bows)

Anonymous said...

That point of view is acceptable if one thinks that happiness is a constant/ continuous state of mind.

I believe, however, that happiness can always be sought for in one's experiences, however important or small it might be. It's a wonderful Life in any event, but some thing(s) make it a magical one (for some its experiencing Life with the perfect partner).

Wolverine did achieve a state of happiness in several experiences he went thru - with Rogue, in joining the X-Men, in his 'friendship' with Jean, with Amiko, in respecting the Prof's POV and in kicking sundry arses, amongst others. But the reason he has been portrayed as a character who isn't happy is to showcase a guy who's ultimately got more morality than heart and more heart than balls when it comes to crunch decisions - that is why he was able to kill Jean despite being in love with her (which Cyclops or any of the other X-Men would never have been able to do).

Have you heard of Mariko Yashida? She was the girl that Wolverine was going to marry, but she chose not to get married to him for a few reasons, one of which was to give him a chance at a better future. I think Wolverine learnt true, unselfish love from her actions because since then I have noticed a perceptible softening of his character (unless he goes into 'berserk mode').

However, whilst most people think that Wolverine has a cynical/skeptical outlook to Life, I think Wolverine is simply trying to get on with doing what he does best even though he no longer likes doing it. I would be happy if he were to retire as a hermit.

Sorry about the long post, but I did warn you I was a fan. :)

Wolvie/ Stray

Kris Bass said...

@ Wolvie/Stray: That was a beautiful write up about Wolvie! I loved reading it. In fact, I would love to get a few more orations about X-men.

If you take a course of X-men appreciation, I'll be there!

Anonymous said...

loved the lyrics... would ave loved the song if it sounded as dark and intense as its written..
i guess i was expecting a lil too much but on a demo basis it was good but surely could ave been superb.. there is so much fire n depth to the song. i hope youd get it all out when you do it in the studio.
.... deLH Boi..
p.s. i can relate so much better after reading the whole x-men connection.

Kris Bass said...

@ Anonymous: Honestly, the darkness has to materialized in the voice. But then, I'm stuck with myself ;) I hope to get me better by the time I hit the studio!

Anonymous said...

Kris, Lets try and catch up when I'm in Mumbai next - some time in November?

Stray

Kris Bass said...

@ Stray: Wokay! Seems like a good plan. But never, and I say never, trust me with showing up date.

Reema said...

Superb!!! I liked the song and your voice. I too am a fan of X men but I have seen only the movies. I have not read the comics.

Kris Bass said...

@ Reema: I think anyone who's a fan of any comic - movie series should read the comics. They are simply wonderful and sometimes darker with a thicker plot!

The TV animation series are also cool. They help you catch up with a lot of history!

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...