The Barber

It might sound like the title of a book or movie. It isn’t. Surprisingly it’s the straight-to-the-point name of a saloon at Veera Desai Road in Andheri (W). I’m a big fan of saloons (and not salons because I have never been to a salon) because you get someone to work at your head and face for a cheap price. Since ‘The Barber’ is fairly close to where I live in and because of its very cheap rates, it has become my default saloon for the past few months.

So, why am I writing about it? Well, I actually wanted to write about it so as to give it some positive exposure. Honestly, despite being a roadside make-shift shack, it is air-conditioned and it provides good service. There are three good barbers who are pretty good at what they do. It even has a television set which sometimes plays some sport. Add all of it together and charge just Rs. 20 for a regular shave and Rs. 30 for a regular hair cut, it’s unimaginable to choose otherwise. But there is more – the name. I love ‘The Barber’ as the name for a saloon.

But still, why am I writing about it now? Interestingly, I had a kinda rough experience yesterday. It was about a couple of weeks since I had trimmed my beard and we have an upcoming photo shoot for Noise Market. Hence I had to pay a visit to ‘The Barber’. But today, it was a different experience altogether. This, despite the fact that the customer being ‘served’ on the chair right beside mine was a hot middle-aged man who was been given a ‘facial’!

I was ‘taken care’ of by my regular guy – a bhaiyya with the weirdest of hair-styles right from mid-80s. But he was brash. He shaved ‘roughly’ giving me a lot of micro-cuts. It hurt when he trimmed my beard and he even managed to poke my throat with his scissors a couple of times. I indicated my displeasure and I requested him to be a little more careful. I studied his face and I figured something was bothering him. Foolishly, I agreed to have him trim my hair as well (not a hair-cut as I’m planning to grow my hair long). Using blunt toothed scissors, he ‘pulled out’ a significant portion of my hair.

At the end of it all he said ‘Your head seems to have become a lot lighter!’ I replied ‘Yours too!’. The guy was shaking his head as I was leaving.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooof! I've had bad experiences but nothing as horrid as yours!

Do you look weird now?

Prash said...

what is the difference between saloon and salon ?

It even has a television set which sometimes plays some sport

I am sure that the sport you are talking about here is CRICKET and CRICKET only ! ;-)

Why was the guy angry at you ? I am curious ...God, this is a phase of "curiosity" for me, I think ! I am curious about everything since two days ! ;-) LOL

Anonymous said...

Why was the guy in such a mood?! You are a regular there, aren't u? Hope you look good for your photo shoot!

Anonymous said...

saw rock on today.

reminded me of you.

Kris Bass said...

@ Unsungpsalm: I've always looked. weird. I'm not any worser now. And the photo shoot is post poned to next week!

Kris Bass said...

@ Prash: I think salon is more beauty and less hair, it's more metrosexual as well and of course it's more expensive.

They play Cricket, Football, Wrestling and even showed Olympics.

I have no idea why he was angry.

Kris Bass said...

@ Myheadtrip: Well, I'm a regular for a few months yes. And I look okay!

♪♪Happy Go Lucky♪♪ said...

OMG! he pulled off ur hair?
and the why i try my best to avoid going to the parlour..

ive always wondered how guys can bear shaving.. that too soo regularly.. :P

nice blog.. am blogrolling ya.. ciao round!

Anonymous said...

LOL...
The barber! Wow, what a name! :)
hehehehehe

Prash said...

I am really surprised that they play other sports than Cricket..and I still have my doubts...are you in India ? hahahahahaha :-)

I was really pissed by the Premier League last may when I was in India...it was Cricket everywhere, clubs, bars, restaurants...for me, when I go out to bars, restaurants and clubs I enjoy my friends' company and I want to talk to them and dance with them. It was so irritating !

I didn't know that there was a difference just with a spelling difference...you have so much of concept. I remember seeing a movie like 5 years ago in BBY, a movie about a hair-dresser who could read the thoughts of the guy the moment he touches the hair...did you see that movie ? I don't remember the movie (maybe swats can help me here)...it is not a typical Govinda, SRK movie with songs and all. It was something in the lines of Bollywood Calling or Page 3.

Kris Bass said...

@ Harini: Well, normally it's not bad. In fact I look forward to someone shaving me. But this was weird.

Thanks for your comments! You are welcome here anytime!

Kris Bass said...

@ Nikhil: Yeah, it's like calling your blog 'The Blog'!

Kris Bass said...

@ Prash: Interestingly, I loved the IPL thing. That's cuz I'm a sucker for cricket I guess.

I haven't got a clue as to what the movie you were mentioning is!

kaleidoscope said...

Hey guys! So this is for both Kris and Prash -

Difference between Salon and Saloon:

Etymologically, "Saloon" is the 18th c. Anglicised form of the French term "Salon". In purer terms, both refer to a parlor offering specialized services. As with the colonial legacy, "Saloon" is now stuck as the common verbage and signage in the erstwhile British colonies of E. Africa and S./S.E. Asia.

The film which Prash is referring to is (super talented) Rahul Bose's "Everybody says I'm fine". I remember watching it eons ago.

To come back to Kris's post, I quite like the name of the salo(o)n "The Barber". It is so 2030. No really. It's like an architect's office called "The Red Door" or a Chef's Kitchen called "The Hell's Kitchen" (Is Gordon Ramsey listening)?

Happy grooming!

Vee said...

@ Prash n Kris

Thaw was 'Everybody Says I Am Fine' directed by Rahul Bose. I fact Rahul too acted in that as a frustrated star.

And yes, Rehan Engieer played the role of Brber. Ther were Koel Puri, Pooja Bhatt, Boman Irani too in the movie.

Kris Bass said...

@ Kush: Actually, Vinokur was trying to clarify the confusion as well. 'Saloon' means a Cowboy bar is Western states and Salon is the place were women used to go to get hair jobs done. Obviously, these are slang usages of the words.

I'd keep an eye out for that DVD. And by the way, it wasn't really 'happy' grooming!

Kris Bass said...

@ Oxy: Must have been a good one. I'll watch it any way because of Mr. Irani anyway!

Anonymous said...

Yeah it’s EVERBODY SAYS I’M FINE…

Oh sometimes even these regular ppl who attend to u cn b real brash..Waxing is no different..and eyebrow threading! God! I get tears in my eyes :-(

Chk O’HAIR at Matunga..(its close to the Matunga Post Office..near flower galli) its fairly reasonable.. at least u wont regret ur visit!

Haircut- 250/- (if the main person does it. Vishal Kumar I guess)
100/- (if his assistant does it)
Shave- 50/

U need to take an appointment..Lemme know if u need his cell no and address

Prash said...

Thanks Oxy !

I really loved this movie !

Kris Bass said...

@ Swats: Thanks for the info. But honestly, Rs. 250 is too expensive for me.

@ Prash: You forgot to thank Kush my dear..

Anonymous said...

I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.
Thanks...........hair jobs...........

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...