"Don't repeal section 377: Homosexuals"

I was startled to find this headline to an e-mail to the GB mailing list and was even more startled to find out that even the Times of India article that the e-mail was referring to also had the same title. Guts, courage, balls... are the adjectives that came up in my mind for the gay community. Why? Because I thought they were mocking the responses to the earlier story.

But, that's not the case as I found out when I read this.
While the homosexuals in India have welcomed Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss' statement seeking the removal of provisions in Section 377of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) that classifies sex between two men as a criminal offence, they do not want the repeal of the section to protect the boy child from abuse.
I must say that I don't really see the point of the headline. Of course, I know that those who commented on the topic like Nitin didn't have a choice with the headline at least. But, isn't it weird? I mean, we sound like we are actually fighting against what we are fighting for?

On second thoughts, I felt that most people who are interested in this topic would be reading it because of the headline. And those who condemn homosexuality might even realize that we have hearts and souls and we care for others, something which they obviously overlook when they say nasty things about us. What do you think?

(PS: This story doesn't have a single comment until now. On the TOI page that is.)

7 comments:

Prash said...

Now I see what is TOI...thanks ! Finally, I understand.

I really don't know how to take it when they say - they do not want the repeal of the section to protect the boy child from abuse.

Are they implying that they are surprised by the fact the sodomites (gay people) don't want to take off the boy child sex because they think homosexuality and pedophilia are the same ?

I really didn't understand it clearly.

Prash said...

I really don't know why people tend to put 'homosexuality' and 'pedophilia' in the same bag.

According to the statistics, in the pedophilia world, it is more girls who are abused than boys...maybe we should put that on table and make them realize that it is not the same...

Einstein said to everybody: Ignorance is a sin

Prash says to these homophobes: Hence, go educate youself !

Kris Bass said...

I think what they mean is that Section 377 also attends to the child abuse thing. The gays want discrimination against them to be taken off. Not the child abuse thing.

If it's confusing for us gays, then I don't expect the aam janta to be clear-eyed about this.

mystiquedew said...

Kris,

I dunno any abt the section 377 so i wud be of naught value :( :(
thou' I do think classifyin it as criminal offense ridikulous!!

As fer ur last line..
Of course ye'll care fer others well..!some may not...!
One way or the other! ye definitely dont havta explain yerself to ne-one :) :)

Vee said...

From Smoking to Smacking, Ramadoss surely won some plus points...

Coming to 377, I guess it has got nothing to do with child abuse per se. Correct me if I am wrong.

Scooting to the couple of links you provided...

Kris Bass said...

@ mystiqe: He hehe. I agree.

@ Oxymoronic: I'm not really sure. It is for all forms of unnatural sexual acts I guess. Go give the TOI pages some traffic! ;)

Prash said...

I made a comment on this TOI page and it is not yet online! well...whatever !

Did my comment got censored ~!

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...