Da Saz - Jet Lag

During the blitz of social networking that I went through last week or so, I stumbled on MySpace pages of some labels (Counter Culture, and DemonStealer) of India's budding Indie music industry. Very cool stuff. All have started websites, and as you can expect some aren't exactly functional (Only Much Louder , Counter Culture, DemonStealer). But still it was a sign of life in the Indie music industry in India.

I, like my self-centred paranoidal mind, started searching for my record label's (Phat Phish Records) footprint on the social networking spectrum. Curiously enough, I couldn't find anything. Of course, they have a fantastic website which is a treat to the eye. But still, nothing on MySpace, Orkut or Facebook.

I decided to inform my manager about this little anomaly. I did that yesterday night before going to sleep. Voila, I got a reply today morning. Yes, the reply acknowledged the fact that they need to start their own pages. But the interesting fact is that our manager got very defensive of the label explaining that they can't be compared to other labels and stuff. And the reason stated, as if I needed another kick in the nuts to get me going, and I quote 'We actually signed you guys.' If I were to picturize this in a sit-com situation in a real conversation with my manager, the camera would have zoomed out of my dorky face and focussed on the manager who would have had an expression of disbelief/irony/dismay!

Okay okay. I understand that they have been generous to support us. And I'm thankful of that. And that's the reason why I'm posting this wonderful video that our music label has made for the artist Da Saz. This, I feel, is one of the best music videos that I have seen to have come out of India. Just the kind of stuff that I reckon is cool. I must also not take any credit away from the music.



And I confess, I'm proud to be associated with our record label.

PS: My band mates and friends think that I, and only I would do such a thing, should not encourage other competitive bands and records and all that shit. I mean, how naive and self-centred is that huh? What do y'all think?

PS2: If this post comes posted more than once, blame it on YouTube. I tried posting it from there where I first saw the video. But then, it didn't come up.

6 comments:

flygye12 said...

u are right, when one of the community gets promoted then all of them will rise....


ps:

do u know this Delhi Band : THEM CLONES (i find the name stupid)

http://www.themclones.com/
http://mpmessiah.wordpress.com/2007/11/13/them-clones/

Bebe seems to know one of the Band members personally. each does something else for a living :D

Kris Bass said...

I love Them! They are one band that I can really relate musically to. If you compare my influences with theirs (as is posted on one of the blog links that you posted), about 90% coincide. I can't say I know them personally although I have met them and have been introduced to them by others in the industry.

Their name, by the way is a derivation of the famous song "Them Bones" by Alice In Chains.

And... I did get the hint at the fag end of the comment! ;)

flygye12 said...

okay bebe works with one of them (has his desk right next to him) ! that's all i'm saying....

Kris Bass said...

And which one is that? I have had chats with the the long-haired non-mongol guitarist. The bassist too used to frequent an apartment in the same building that I used to live in.

And by the way, Alice In Chains is their number one influence. Just like mine!

flygye12 said...

i meant to say "i'm saying no more" it came out "that's all im saying" ha ha ha....

Kris Bass said...

I'm, by the way, to Gucci Singh. And you don't need to 'tell' me. We can play charades or something to know who's in the same office as Bebe!

;)

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...