Of Spittoons and more...

Back in the time of Xander, I used to indulge in jokes about S' spitting habits. "What would you buy for S' b'day?' 'A golden Spittoon!' S. had gotten addicted to a particular type of chewable tobacco some years back. It's called RMD from Manikchand. People affably refer to as Manikchand. Those who aren't addicted to it would hate it. It is, and not 'paan', the reason for the reddish stains on the walls of all major cities and towns of modern India. For those in Gringo land, this is a blog post that I found which tells you more about this particular form of addiction.

As all addicts, S. claims to not 'like' this habit. He says he wants to get rid of it, but can't. Such is the story of my life that most of my very close friends have one addiction or the other and I have not been able to do anything about it. My old friend Jeremy (I don't know if I referred to him on this blog using another name) twice got so close to getting out of smoking. He still smokes. Xander still drinks a full pint of Rum almost everyday along with 2 - 3 packs of cigarettes per day.

But the most disgusting amongst all addictions has to be chewing tobacco. S. does it always. He looks even more asinine when he has his buccal cavity full of the red colored juice. He spits it out to any place which he's not ashamed to spit into. And, he's totally 'shameless by the way. When he can't find a suitable space, he spits into bottles. He uses Tropicana Twister mini bottles and Gatorade bottles especially for this purpose. At any point of time, you would be able to find 3 - 6 bottles of red, disgusting spit in the place where he's living. And that, sadly, includes his friends apartments. Presently, he probably has about 20 - 30 sachets of this everyday. That works out to about 150 to 200 Rs. per day. No fucking wonder where all the money that he makes/borrows goes to.

To highlight the traumatic nature of spit in the household, I'm posting, with severe reluctance, a few snaps that I have taken.

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


For those confused, anything which has a hue of a dirty red in these pictures is caused by the spit!

No comments:

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...