What's so shitty about the hospital

The carryover of yesterday's work left be high and dry in the morning. For the fifth consecutive day the alarms didn't work. I felt so bad today morning when I got up at 7.30 am around 2 hours late. I had to finish a lot of shit before I could relax and be good for round.

But still, I managed to finish about 80% of what I was supposed to finish. My seniors rang me up when they didn't find me in the ward where I was supposed to be at 8.45. But for a change, they didn't fire me outright from the start. That gave me some breathing space.

There were obviously some glaring omissions in my work (unfinished). There were no outbursts resembling nuclear explosions from anyone thankfully. But still, I felt bad. Why is this like this?

Things are so shitty with this hospital. Really? I'll give you two instances today.

  • Blood Bags - There is an acute shortage of blood at the blood bank. If a patient who's to be operated needs blood, then it is upto us (the housemen) to mobilize blood. Talk, bribe the blood bank officers, call up private blood banks, threaten the relatives of the patient that if they don't pay for blood from such private blood banks the patient wouldn't be operated etc. Long story cut short - lots of big time effort to get blood. Once you get it, you are never sure when you are going to be needing it. It can be on the day of surgery. Or three days after. If I return the blood, there's no surety if I'll get it back. Therefore, we keep it at refrigerator in the ward.

    Now, the ward head sister is so bitchy that she makes an issue of blood kept in the refrigerator every day. Every morning, she bitches around like crazy. She threatens me and my co housemen saying that she'll send complaints and issue memos against us. We do a lot of shifting of blood bags to OT refrigerators etc. where we get time with the refrigerators.Since they are closed in the nights, we have to keep the bags back to the ward fridge.

    Today, the sister complicated things in the middle of the mess in the morning. She wanted me to dispose the bags immediately. I send the blood bags to another theatre Somebody from there sends the bag back. The bags reach back the ward and I'm supposed to return these to the blood bank in between my boss' nerve wracking round.

    This all makes me think - Why should we work for the patients so much. Let the blood not be there. Let the patient not get operated!

  • After the round, I go to the office. I have to type some cost certificates for patients. That's really not my job as the clerk at the office is on leave. As I start typing one, a friend of mine arrives. He needs to type one for his patient. He's helped me a lot. So I decide to type his. One of my seniors interrupts me in the middle and says that I need to go immediately somewhere. That somewhere can wait. Seriously. I wouldn't take more than 10 minutes to type the shit and take the print out. And they would be the ones shouting at me for not doing it later.




This is the shit which we go through every day. And I don't think I should find any reason for not feeling disappointed at the system.

No comments:

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...