Helping fools

Last week, I’d posted at least twice about my uninhibited generosity in terms of help to people around me. I spent a good part of today helping someone who does not, by most standards, deserve it.



I helped a senior colleague of mine, a dumb woman actually, to prepare a topic presentation. The last time she did something of this sort, she was mangled by the chairing professor. She had seemed so naïve at that point. I thought that she must be helped. But my attitude changed once I started working with her. Apart from the fact that she is far from being intelligent, and that she is one of the lazy kind of persons who don’t believe in knowing what they are about to talk on, two particular things made me change my attitude about her.




  • A delusion that she held which came up in a conversation. She believes that the ‘gas’ from her stomach travels up the esophagus and and gets stuck at the base of skull and causes headache. For a medical professional, such banal notions are highly gross.
  • When we started engaging in conversation over a cup of coffee at a restaurant, she started talking about how naughty her son was. She tried to give me an example; an incident which happened 8 years back. She started describing a room in which the event occurred. She started describing the walls, furniture, lamps, tables, the objects kept on it, the approximate arrangement of the furniture, the proximity of a nearby tree to a particular window of the room etc. It carried on for about 20 minutes (I’m not joking here) and then she came to the point. She said that her son had climbed on the table to get her mobile phone and started playing with it. That is it. For this she had to waste 20 minutes of mine. That is totally revolting.


I guess you wouldn’t have a problem in deciding if you help such a person.

No comments:

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...