First day - horror show

The first day of the conference started great. First of all, I got to hang out with a relatively mature colleague of mine. He is a wonderful character – reserved with a quirky sense of humor and is charming too. The rest of the gang, other than me and this ‘relatively mature colleague of mine’ (RMCoM – what a weird acronym), were more interested in the fun than the academics. It was the first experience for me in a big conference. Therefore, I wanted to attend the academics fully.



The food was shabby. But the talks were awesome. I was impressed with most of the stuff that I hearing. The fact that it was inspiring was a pleasant realization. One disappointing fact was that the papers were being presented from almost all the colleges san ours. I felt glad about my choice to continue my studies elsewhere.



I got to bond a little with my Prof as well. But he was acting introvertish.



In the night, I gave company to RMCoM by drinking beer with him. The rest of the gang got drunk with various other forms of alcohol. There was this karaoke show going on and all of my colleagues (except me and RMCoM of course) from our college and our college only, started dancing like pigs on the dance floor. I went and decided to join them as I thought they might feel bad if I stayed out. I even sang with an awesome singer on MJ’s ‘Heal the World’. Forgive me for the sin that I committed.



Then when I went to have dinner, I and RMCoM went up to my Prof and started talking with him. Professor told us that we looked different after drinking beer. Someone started to talk about the sex controversies in the media. I utilized the opportunity to make a point that such things were common everywhere, especially in the Gulf countries. Prof had worked for a few years there. I asked him if that wasn’t true. He tactfully avoided answering. Inference – he is very intelligent.



Then came the most disappointing aspect of the day. As I was finishing dessert, I went upto RCMoM who was talking with a drunk colleague of mine. I casually commented on the way food was smeared all over his face. Well, I actually said ‘You look like a clown.’



That was enough to set apart the bomb of hatred for me which was bundled in him. He abused me loud and clear. Then he threw Chicken Curry on my shirt. I somehow escaped and got myself cleaned. Later on in the night, I learned from this drunk himself of the reason why he got mad.



Very disappointing this is for me – He thought that I had a big ego, that I thought that I was the best and the other alcoholics were assholes. He thought that since I got high ranks in exams, and since he didn’t, I was acting superior to him. Similar blah blah.



Summary – everyone thinks that I’m an arrogant, superiority-complex-driven, asshole. Just because I don’t drink like them or enjoy stuff which they enjoy. Just because I was successful than they are in exams. Just because I dedicate myself at the hospital. This is pathetic. This will affect me in my residency starting in three months.



Thank you for adding to my already overflowing river of problems.

No comments:

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...