How not to break bad news

I can’t figure out how I should have broken the news better. Already, Chuck has indicated twice in a manner that hurt me that I’m weird and I don’t care about such big losses. He thinks that I’m was too cold-hearted to just say this –



‘Hello Chuck. I’m afraid I’ve some bad news for you.’



‘What is it?’



‘I have lost your camera today. It was in the hospital. Someone took it from my bag.’



‘You must be kidding…’



‘No, I’m not. I lost it. I know it is my fault to have not taken it with you to the tables. I’m sorry.’



‘Why did you HAVE to take it to the hospital on your theatre day?’



‘I was just trying to complete the collection of photographs. I’m really sorry Chuck. Anyway, the present problem is that your wedding is around the corner and we need to get a digital camera to take snaps. Can you think of any options?’



And the phone conversation which transpired on that fateful day yesterday carried on for about another minute or so. But the line which irritated him most, the one which I was most proud of having delivered, is the one with ‘… the present problem’.



And I thought I was awesome in handling the situation. I’m deranged.

No comments:

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...