Marriage and/or Migration

Ever since I have been to my friend's wedding a couple of weeks back, I have been seriously thinking about marriage. The very thought that my so-very-radical friend could adjust and adapt to the situations that demanded him to do so, is looming large in my mind. In college, it was us two who were the odd ones out. We never believed in arranged marriage. Hell, I was a strong opponent of marriages of all kind during the days when I was still not at terms with my sexuality.



Now, I approach the concept of marriage with more confidence. Of course, what I mean by the term marriage is 'gay-marriage'. It seems like a wonderful prospect. To fall in love and marry, then share everything, have fun and of course, sex with a man of my dreams; seems so rosy. That is my dream. And it will remain a dream if I stay in India.



Gay marriage is still a long way from being accepted in India where being openly gay itself is very hard. That is why I'm considering migrating abroad. My newly-wed friend and I had a conversation about this before his marriage. He had the opinion that the US of A was not the best option for me, as I had presumed. He thought that Europe is the best place to go and lead an openly gay life and maybe even marry. Canada was another good choice in his opinion.



Now, it must a great coincidence that I have a lot of e-acquaintances from Canada. I hope I could fall in love with one of them and marry them! ;) One of them is the handsome Raul, who I had mentioned in a post some time back. I also promised that I would share with you a snap of his. I'm keeping my promise. Tell me what you think about him.



Coming back to the topic of migration; one thing that hurts me is the fact that I could have thought about this before I took my all-important decision-about how to do my post-graduation. I could have so easily opted for doing that in US/Canada and could have been studying there right now. But at that time, I wasn't even sure about my sexuality. Forget marriage. And that is why I opted to do my PG in India.


This leaves me with just one good option. To finish my MS course in India and after that try for options abroad. I'll be 28 by then. If everything works out well, I could be starting to do my two year rotation in US/Canada by the time I'm 30. But then, if that is the only way, there isn't any choice for me. Getting a visa is tough in India. I might have to get married to a person living in the country that I wish to migrate, to even get a VISA. By the time I'm 30, I hope to be in a position to tell my family that I'm gay I would only marry a man.



Wow, things look really complicated as of now. I think I'll have to read up a lot about the procedures and make my mind up in about 5 years from now. But will I be able to find my love by then?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kris,
Me again, You say- Marriage and or Migration, sounds hot! And I know that Canada has been of late very liberal about gay marriages and there was also an instance when a gay couple from Pakistan took refuge in Canada on humanitarian basis, that was not shocking at all considering the fact that Canada is home to any and all kind of refugees.
As far as your profession is concerned I am not very pleased with the way Canada accepts Indian Medical degrees, I shall in time to come do some research in that direction.
I would like you to think a bit more rationally and hence- Career, Marriage and/or migration.

I hope I do not sound rude.

JK

Kris Bass said...

JK, thanks for showing concern. I really appreciate it. I don't think I'm going to neglect my career in my search for love. Thanks again.

Engayging Life has moved to WordPress

Engayging Life has fully moved to WordPress

Yes, I am alive and I'm still blogging. Regularly. But on WordPress because offers an easier workflow for me. Here is a selection of wh...